Thursday, December 08, 2005

Snow Day!!

Well I learned today that the state of Kentucky has issues dealing with snow. Basically they overreact to weather situations (similar to the time we closed work because of a tornado watch and there was barely a storm!) I went into work at 10 this morning and I was excited because a few of us were going to go shopping for toys. About fifteen minutes after I got there some freezing rain came down and the weather reports said we were supposed to get 2-4 inches of snow (which is nothing!) Well because of the "bad weather" we didn't go shopping. And we closed the building at 1:00! All the schools in our county let out early, which means we did not have the after-school program or evening G.E.D. and ESL classes. So I had most of the day off and it was wonderful. I needed it because I haven't been feeling the best this week. The last hour of work we all sat in the office and listened to Edgardo's stories about his experience in Argentina (he lived there during the violent revolutions). I found out he used to be a pastor and he gave us a mini-sermon. He had a lot of intersting things to say, particularly about Bush, the war in Iraq, and American culture. I really liked one of the points of his "sermon": One of the foundations of Jesus' teaching is social justice and concern for the poor, yet many people who call themselves Christians seem to ignore this major part of the Bible. Amen Edgardo!

Well I got a little off track. Anyways, I realized how nice it is to have a job where you get snow days. I hope there are many more to come! And since Kentucky cancels things before it even starts snowing, I think there is a good chance for that. I should mention that most of the day it was just raining and there is barely any snow on the ground now!

4 Comments:

At 6:59 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Yeah, I learned real quick at Parkview that working in a hospital has one down fall...no snow days, no days off for any reason!

I've also learned that Illinois gets nowhere near as much snow as Ohio and now that there is a few inches of snow on the ground, people are driving around about 2 miles an hour. That's good because they're safe, but I can't imagine what these people would do in Ohio! They've been calling for 4-5 inches of snow and you would have thought they were predicing a blizzard. I even heard a dietitian talking about going to the grocery store tonight because of the snow coming! :)

Also, I saw your buddy James on the Apprentice came back to help on the Finale! Did you watch it?

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Maria said...

I believe my buddy's name was Mark and I did not see the finale..I only watched a couple episodes. I did hear about the one he got kicked off though.

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger Abby said...

Yeah, Mark, my bad.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Laura said...

As for the Apprentice, Mark was back on the last episode this past week to help Randal on his final task. Randal and Rebekah are in the finale. The actual final episode is this coming Thursday, if you still want to see it!

As for snow, Bob and I both enjoyed a day off school on Friday because it snowed around 5 inches or so here. It wouldn't have been so bad, but then the wind blew really hard all night causing drifting. The day off was great though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home