Sunday, November 20, 2005

LUC Thanksgiving Dinner

Since we are all leaving Louisville for the holiday this week, we decided to have a Thanksgiving dinner tonight at the house. We had a few guests, including Emily B. who was in the program last year, our director Susan and her husband Dan, and Steven, a grad student that I work with. He is going to Kent School for social work, the program I am considering, and his placement is at Americana. He works with the after-school program a few days a week. My housemate Keith was unable to make it to our dinner because he is still in Alabama visiting friends, so we stuffed one of his shirts and gave him a soccer ball for a head. I also taped a picture of him to the soccer ball. You can see "Keith" in the background on the left. Anyways, it was a fabulous dinner! We proved that we are domestic goddesses (yes we did all the cooking ourselves, but I admit I did not help much). We had ham baked in cider, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, green bean casserole, stuffing, deviled eggs, homeade bread, and mulled apple cider, among other things. For dessert..apple pie and blueberry junk (which was my one contribution, my mom makes it every year for Thanksgiving). I also set the table! In addition to the guests I previously mentioned, we also had a photographer there. One of the local papers is writing an article about our program. He was a cool guy, and he ended up eating with us as well. He's coming to photograph me at work tomorrow too. After a wonderful dinner, we played a rowdy game of Dutch Blitz. We were on teams, and Steven and I won!

Speaking of the article that is being written about us, the reporter doing the story is an intern at the paper and our age. She has my exact same birthday. She has hung out with us a few times in order to get her story, along with coming with me to work. She's a cool girl and I think we made a new friend out of it. She could not come to our dinner because she was working at her other job (which happens to be the bar we have been going to on Wed. nights) So those of you in new cities wondering how to make new friends - just have someone write a story about you!

Last night there was a benefit concert for Americana Community Center at the Kentucky Theatre. The tickets were $12 a piece and all the proceeds went to the center. There were a lot of people there, so I think we will receive a decent amount of money. Emily went with me to the concert. There were five bands playing, but we only stayed for the first two. They were awesome though. The first one was two cellos, a violin, and a viola. But they did not play classical music, it was really unique. Then the headliner was a band called Rachel's, which consisted of a viola, cello, drums, piano, keyboard, and guitar. (no vocals for either of these bands) They were amazing..it is different than anything I have ever heard, and they had pictures playing on a screen that went along with the music. It was very artistic. So obviously I enjoyed the concert. It was a good time.

We were planning on going to the SOA protest in Georgia this weekend, but decided against it, mainly due to our lack of money for gas. I really hope to go sometime in the future though. But we had a good weekend here and I would have missed out on some things if we had been in Georgia (including sleep and a great Thanksgiving meal).

2 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Blogger Abby said...

I'm impressed with the culinary talents of your housemates!

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I am very impressed too! It sounds delicious!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home