Saturday, November 19, 2005

Something to Blog About!

Well I guess enough stuff has happened since my last post to justify a blog. I'll fill you all in on my exciting week:

*Tuesday - TORNADO!! Actually, the whole city practically shut down and every TV station (well the ones we get anyways) were talking about this impending tornado and the bad storms we were to expect, but then nothing happened! It was very anticlimatic and rather disappointing (not that I wanted a tornado, but at least a cool storm or something). We just got some rain. We cancelled the after-school program so I got off work early a couple hours early. My job was to tell kids to go home, which was fun. :)

*Wednesday - After work, we all headed to the Bluegrass Brewing Company for another fun night of banjos and beer.

*Thursday - I had my first breakdown at work. I was up in the computer lab, which is usually pretty calm. We have eight computers, and kids can use them for a half an hour at a time. For some reason, more kids than usual kept showing up and at one point there were around 30 kids in there wanting a computer. I lost complete control of the situation and was literally screaming as loud as I could over the noise to tell them all to leave if they were not on a computer. But this did not work. During this time, three different G.E.D. teachers who were trying to have class on that floor came and told me that the noise was disrupting their class. No one was listening to me, and I was having particular trouble with some of the teenage boys who constantly hit on me. So I was screaming at the top of my lungs and fighting back tears. That was definitely the first time I have cried at work. Luckily I was able to call for backup on my nifty walkie talkie. What's ironic is earlier that day at our staff meeting we were discussing how peaceful the after-school program has been lately and how we have better control of the kids so things aren't quite as stressful. Oh, and before the chaos, Salim asked me to read a poem he had written and posted on his website. It was actually a well-written poem, but very depressing about how he cries himself to sleep every night and feels all alone, and he tried to act like it was because of me! Muya Muya also came back that day and told me it was only for me, and that he is not supposed to tell me, but Salim is in love with me. And Raymond (16 year old) asked me to be his fiance. AAAAHHH!! I am really having trouble with these things. I need to figure out how to react to them, because what I am doing does not seem to be working!

And what else happened on Thursday? Oh yeah...HARRY POTTER!!! Keith, Katie, and I went to the midnight showing. Keith dressed up as Harry Potter, and was interviewed by a news station at the theatre, but I don't know if it made it to the news. I was kind of disappointed with the atmosphere at the theatre though. When I have gone to midnight showings in the past (at the Lennox in Columbus) there are so many people there and you have to wait in all these lines and numberous people are dressed up and everyone is so pumped (I know I am dork). But it was pretty much another night at the movies here. Only three of the theatres showed the movie, opposed to 24 at the Lennox, and we didn't even have to wait in any lines! But the movie was excellent! I think it is the best movie so far, of course it is also my favorite book. They left so much stuff out, which they had to, but it was well done. I'm curious to hear what people who have not read the book think of the movie. Anyways, it was worth only getting four hours of sleep that night!

*Friday - We had another neighborhood visit with the one and only Dave Brown-Kinloch (interesting guy). He gave us a tour of his neighborhood, Phoenix Hill, which is the poorest neighborhood in Louisville. He knew a lot and it was the most interesting neighborhood visit we have had so far. It was sooo cold though! Then we had lunch at a working class gas station/diner. It was really good. Oh, Blufftonites will appreciate this...Dave lives in a house that was built over a hundred years ago, and he remodeled it so it uses solar energy! It's pretty cool, and they have a community garden outside their house. It is definitely a "green" home.

Friday night I went out with a few of my co-workers to Fourth Street Live. We went to this fancy club called the Red Cheetah. After I got a couple drinks in me, we had lots of fun dancing. And the most random thing...so I get a phone call and go to the back hallway by the restrooms so I can hear, and this guy standing next to me looks real familiar, and then I realize it is M.J. from last season of the Real World (which I watched a couple episodes of mabye, I really can't stand that show anymore, not sure why I ever watched it). Yeah, so he was at the club that night. The D.J. introduced him a few minutes later. We got our picture taken with him. Not that he is anything special, except for he was stupid enough to be on reality t.v. I didn't have my camera with me, but one of my friends did, so hopefully I will get a copy from her and then I can post the picture.

3 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger Abby said...

I have still yet to read or see any Harry Potter movies. (The kids in the youth group think I'm from outer space) And I still lack the desire too, especially since I'm a little behind now.

I'm sorry to hear about you losing control at work. I kind of know how you feel from Derek's Jr high youth group, they can be very out of control at times-but luckily there's only about 15 of them.

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Maria - I totally understand that a large group of teenagers can be very difficult to work with at times. Hang in there. If you are tough, they might not like you for a while, but they will respect you. Your kids are probably harder to work with than my students because of their backgrounds, so I feel for you.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger abby said...

Awww...I'd hug you if I was there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home