Thursday, December 01, 2005

Real World, Lost, and Gang Symbols


I mentioned a few posts ago that I met M.J. from the Real World at a club a couple weeks ago. Again, not that it is a big deal, but here is the picture. I look incredibly short next to him. Also in the picture are my co-workers Nedmija and Tia, and some random guy that was with M.J. So there you have it!

In other random news: Abby- I decided to just go ahead and watch Lost last night. So I know who died now! I am a little confused about what is going on, but I think I followed most of it.

Work has been a little crazy this week and I've put in a few extra hours. My week has included calling an electric company to get tennis shoes removed from our telephone wire, getting a door slammed in my face during a home visit, going to get several copies of keys since Edgardo lost all his, and sorting through hundreds and hundreds of toys that have been stored in no organized fashion for our upcoming holiday party. I'll be happy when that overwhelming task is done. I was also assigned the task of doing their newsletter all by myself. I am 2/3 the way done. It's more work than I thought it would be! (layouts, advertising, getting a list of all volunteers and donors, etc, not to mention writing all the articles). I think things will calm down after our big holiday party on the 16th. Oh yeah, tonight was our first open house/family night for the after-school program. I think it was mostly successful, but very loud and crazy. My open house was also going on at the same time (for the Urban Corps program). I caught the end of it. It was quite a change going from the craziness of Americana's open house and then walking up and over to my very calm open house, with everyone sitting quietly and listening to things!! What a concept.

P.S. I was told that the tennis shoes hanging on the telephone wires by our back parking lot is a gang symbol (it signifies that gang/drug activity takes place here, but duh I could have told you that). Anyways, anyone heard of this before and think it's true? I've heard mixed things. (as to why they are there - just because they were bored or does it really mean something)

3 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger abby said...

I've heard hanging tennis shoes from wires signifies a crack house in the area. However, on the Ft. Loramie elementary school playground I saw quite a few tennis shoes dangling, and i assure you it was not a gang-related incident, but only a junior high hazing spree.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I've never heard anything about drugs related to hanging tennis shoes on wires. So, I did a google search on it. The following website lists some "Drug House Danger Signs."
http://www.ci.mil.wi.us/display/router.asp?docid=429

No tennis shoes, but it is probably still a possibility.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Abby said...

All I know about shoes hanging from wires is from the movie "Big Fish" but I assure you, that was not drug related...so that was probably not helpful. As for Lost, I'm glad you watched it. But I'm ticked that there isn't a new episode for 6 weeks! That might be good for you though, you may be able to catch up on this season.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home