Saturday, September 09, 2006

Not Much Has Changed...




So yeah not much has changed since my last entry, but of course I can still come up with things to say. I thought I would liven up the post with some recent pictures. Over Labor Day weekend I enjoyed having three days off and did a whole lot of nothing (and studying), but we did paint the “conquistador” room “colonial yellow” which can be seen in the pic. This was the first time I have ever painted a room, well helped with one at least. I painted a wall maybe, and then had to write a paper. But I did help! I love our new bright room.

My housemate Dan's birthday was on Thursday and we celebrated last night. We had some people over and tried out the new Italian restaurant a block away. It was delicious. The we went back to the apartment to have cake. I believe the pic is when we were singing to Dan. My foot is in the picture (I was laying on the lovely fainting couch). After cake we headed to the Mag Bar for some pool (where I actually made a couple decent shots). You can also see my new haircut via a crappy picture I took of myself on my cell phone. I went to the hair design school again where you can get a haircut for $10 and an eyebrow wax for $6 which fits my budget much better. I like my hair. So when I told the lady that was cutting my hair that I am getting my master's in social work she said "oh, so you just graduated high school?" Hmmm.....enough said.

School is still going well. Practicum could be better though. The youth programs started up this past week and it wasn't the best week. My main issue is that they have yet to hire the needed staff for the program (soon we should have 3 additional staff), so I was doing several people's jobs at once (the first day you could have refered to me as the one woman show). So since I was busy helping people with homework, orienting new volunteers, making sure they have something to do, making snack, monitoring the halls, making sure kids were where they were supposed to be, etc., I was not able to the things I should be doing in my social work practicum. I know this is just temporary though. But if those people aren't hired soon, I am not going to be happy. The most frustrating moment was when my "client" Juma needed my help with something that was related to my practicum, but I could not do it because I had to pass out snack. Ugh. But to look on the bright side of things, I guess I am getting some management experience. Things will be good once we have all the staff and our activities schedule is started up (because right now we have nothing to offer the kids other than ESL and homework help, which they need, but then they have nothing else to do which does not make them happy let me tell you. Of course I was the one who had to hear all the complaints this week) But like I said, things will improve soon so it is alright.

Yeah so in general I am still having a good time here and life is busy, but good. That's all for now.

5 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Blogger Abby said...

The haircut looks good and it sounds like you're becoming the expert at managing chaos!

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Italian restaurant! sorry, I read that and couldn't concentrate on anything else - I had forgotten that italian food existed

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Keith said...

Nice Apartment. You didn't cry this time when you got your haircut did you? Um, other rude comment here...I'm too tired to be creative I get up at 6AM can you beleve it, I can't hope all is well since I didnt really read your blog yet...i will tommorow...or something

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Maria, I can't imagine working among the chaos that you do. You should smile at the end of each day just for surviving another day:)

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger abby said...

Sounds like fun!! lol You are a stronger woman than i'd EVER hope to be!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home