Monday, August 21, 2006

I'm a Grad Student

I had my first day of class today and it went well. I think I will enjoy my classes. And this is my sweet new form of transportation. I can get to campus in about 8 minutes by bike from my new apartment. Pretty convenient (until it rains or gets cold, and then I will just ride the bus, which I can do for free as a U of L student). So yeah I saved myself quite a bit of money by avoiding a parking pass. I was thinking I would ride the bus or even ride my bike to work as well (which is a little further) but unfortunately I don't think I will be able to stick to that. When I have to be at work so early it is hard to make myself wake up even earlier when I can drive there in only ten minutes, while the other forms of transportation would take considerably longer. And the day I go into work late I found out I have to do the shopping for their supplies so I need my own car. So there goes that idea.

I worked 8 - 12:30 today and then had two classes from 1:30 - 7:30 (with an hour break in between). So it was a long day and I am quite tired. All my days will be like this between class, work, and practicum. I think I'll make it though. It will just become more difficult when the school work starts to pile up and I don't have much time to myself in the evenings and get less sleep and all that jazz. I had an ambitious goal of getting a head start on my reading tonight, but that didn't happen! (I only have each class once a week so I have plenty of time to do the assignments). But I did do the dishes, so I accomplished something. And I must say doing the dishes for three people is a lot easier than seven!!

So it was my first time back to the Americana today since we all moved out. It was quite odd. As I was opening the building it was like things were the same, but so different at the same time, if that makes sense. Our good friend Steven has now moved into our old place. He pays rent, but I think the idea is to have someone live there and help them out until urban corps is up and running again. During work I actually went up to the apartment and it was so weird, it almost made me cry!

I have had a good first few days in the new place. We pretty much have everything we need now and my room is all organized which makes me happy. And it is so big compared to my last room! This past weekend was fun. We had a housewarming party Friday night then walked over to the local bar that is a block away. Saturday I got free beer and queso at the BBC we frequently visit due to new developments. (Larry is great!) Sunday I accomplished a lot, including finshing my online statistics classs (I passed with an 82 I believe). Now just one more online class and I am done with those. Sunday was also random because I saw two friends from Hilliard that happened to be in Louisville. First my friend Kristen (who I danced with for years) was visiting a friend, who lived just down the street, so she walked over to my place and we got to catch up which was nice. Then right after she leaves Erin calls who just got into town for some vet thing and she is lost looking for a grocery store. Oddly enough, I was about to leave for the grocery store and she was lost in my neighborhood. So I gave her directions and we met up at Kroger (which happened to be giving 10% off to U of L students that day). So yeah we met up in Aisle 3 and it was cool. She will be here all week so we will get to hang out again, other than our brief meeting at the grocery store. Oh yeah, after church on Sunday my housemates and I went out to eat at the #1 Asian Buffet and it was amazing. I think I have another new favorite restaurant in town (that is pretty cheap!) I can't believe it took me a year to discover this place.

Well now that you are caught up on all the details of my exciting life, I think I will post some pictures of my new place. Which I really do love by the way.

Actually, pictures to come soon. Blogger is being weird and I need to go to bed. I will leave you in anticipation!

5 Comments:

At 5:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! germany's awesome!! i'm stoked that you're coming to visit us! you'll have to let me know when, then we can all travel together or something. yea!!

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Congratulations on being a grad student!!!

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Suzanna said...

I'm glad to hear everything is going well!! Good luck at classes - it sounds like you're really excited about them, which is awesome!

 
At 3:59 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Is the university trying to encourage its students to not have cars? I can see you riding that awesome bike.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger abby said...

You're going to Germany??? Sweet! I wish I could come!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home