Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Ridiculous-ness of this day

Another post so soon? Well I have to share this ridiculous day that I am glad is over. Maybe it wasn't that bad, but at the time it was. I think the heat is making me delirious.

So last night I noticed gas was $2.83. How amazing! Did I get some? Of course not. I was near empty and fully intended to stop on the way back from the BBC. But as I passed the gas station I decided it could wait until the next day because I really had to pee and I was tired. Gas can't go up that much in one day right? So as I am driving back to work this afternoon after running errands I notice that gas is $3.19!!! I didn't know my overactive bladder would cost me nearly $.40 a gallon. Why oh why did I not stop the night before? Anyways, I go to the cheapest gas station around which is $3.18. I had a little trouble getting there since all the traffic lights were out and drivers were going crazy. Then I pull up ready to fill my empty tank wondering why it is not working and then I realize duh the power is out. No gas stations nearby were in service. So I go back to work still on E. The power is out at work too. It took me awhile to realize the scope of this - no power equals no air conditioning or fans! So we close work early and everyone is excited to go home to their air conditioning, while I get to go upstairs to my convent where it is even hotter. And yes it was painfully hot. I was sweating like crazy. My housemate and I have a brilliant idea to go to a pool. There was no way we could sit around in there. And Katie even had free passes to an indoor pool nearby she was going to let us use. So I get on my bathingsuit while Andrea calls Emily to tell her to hurry home from work so we can go to the pool. While Andrea is on the phone with her, Emily gets a flat tire on the freeway! And who is the only person with AAA? Me. So I am laying on my bed in my bathingsuit with a cold washcloth and slightly crazy from the heat, talking to AAA about my broken down car. Do I know what model it is? What color it is? What side of the road I am on? Do I have a spare tire? No. I know nothing. Andrea is trying to get the answers from Emily while I am talking to the AAA person while we are all laughing hysterically at this situation. That lady must have thought I was an idiot. So we go to rescue Emily, assuming the person with the AAA card needs to be there. They "rescue ranger" beat us there (probably because we were stuck in rush hour traffic!) Turns out you do not need to show your AAA card! Just get someone with AAA to call for you if you are ever in this situation. Emily just signed my name and we were off. (after standing on the side of the freeway melting away for awhile). So we get home and the power is still out. I contiune to lay on my bed in my bathingsuit with a cold washcloth pretending I am at the pool, which we no longer have time to go to because of another engagement. I start gulping down some water and choke on it, right when a phone call I had been waiting on comes. That was fun. So the power finally comes back on, just to tease us and go back off again. Then after awhile longer it comes on for real. By this time we were supposed to be at someone's house. But we haven't eaten dinner yet. So we eat hurriedly while trying to call this person, but we lost her number and everyone we could think of that would have it does not answer their phone. We finally leave but I have to stop at Walgreens to get a prescription (which is another story in itself - I have spent hundreds of dollars on doctors visits and prescriptions this past month or so trying to fix a problem that was misdiagnosed a couple times -ugh!) Anyways of course they screwed up my prescription and I had to wait which makes us even later. We finally arrive to our destination over an hour after we were supposed to be there. But our host was understanding and now we have her phone number. And I spilled a fudgescicle on my white skirt.

Ok that's my story. Is it really that ridiculous? But let me tell you, it was HOT! If you have ever been to visit me, imagine this place with no cooling system and over 100 degree weather. It does things to you. Ok so I am not in Bangladesh, but seriously. This heat is ridiculous.

And my tank is still on E. Think gas will go down tomorrow???

6 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Blogger abby said...

lol. Oh Maria! That sounds awful - almost awful enough to be histerically funny, but I guess you have to be in the right mood for that. At least you don't have to wear a habit in your convent!

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Abby said...

LOL I agree this is a funny story, hopefully some day you can look back and laugh as well! Good luck staying cool.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

This story is kind of ironic if you think about it. Needing gas, but there is no power because it's so hot. Like if global warming is the cause of the heat, and gas is part of the cause of global warming.

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Maria said...

I would never have thought about it that way! Nice one Reba. Perry would be proud!

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Hashtag Car Removal said...

Hi, I am really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and internet and this is actually irritating. A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.
cash for old cars sydney
free car removal sydney

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Max Cash For Cars said...

Thanks for sharing. We pay our customers instant cash up to $9,999 without any waiting time. It is our policy to not let customers wait for their money. We also provide free towing services, so customers save even more money when dealing with us. This strategy has been a great success with our customers in Queensland. Through this, we gained a lot of goodwill from our customers.
cash for scrap cars caboolture
cash for scrap cars ipswich

 

Post a Comment

<< Home