Monday, April 10, 2006

Rest and Relaxation



Things were back to normal today after a nice & easy week at work and a quiet, relaxing weekend. The kids were on spring break last week and we had activities planned for them only three days and we were done by 5. It was nice to get home at a normal time for a week and work less than usual. The weather was beautiful and we were outside most of the time. It was pretty low-key. We had around 20 kids each day, which is so much easier to manage! And I got my exercise while at work: kickball, frisbee, flying kites (which the kids made), gardening, relay races, etc. It was a fun week. We also tye dyed shirts, which was one of the things I planned. I was a little nervous about it, but it turned out great! Friday was the easiest day at work I think I have ever had. “International Youth Day” was held in our parking lot and I had nothing to do with the planning. It was basically a party in the parking lot and I just got to hang out all day and enjoy having no responsibility for the event. It was wonderful. And although the weather got a little crazy later, it was beautiful for this.

That brings me to the start of my relaxing weekend. Three of my housemates were in Chicago, so the house was rather quiet, especially compared to last weekend when we had a house full of guests. The excitement of Friday again was the weather. Early evening I was the only one in the house watching a movie when I heard the tornado sirens go off. Five minutes earlier it was nice and sunny out, so I just ignored them. Then Katie runs in from outside holding marble sized pieces of hail in her hand. It was crazy outside. I thought maybe it would be a good idea to turn off the movie and check the weather. Right as I do the weatherman says "A funnel cloud was just spotted (insert my exact location in Louisville here)" So we decided it was a good idea to go in the basement. Luckily nothing hit the ground, but the weather was definitely insane. Two tornado warnings in less than a week. I hope this isn't normal! After Keith returned safe from work, the three of us decided to watch "The Big Lebowski" which inspired us to be lazy and bum around. Since the weather calmed down we sat out on our "porch" for a couple of hours and just talked. It was nice. By the way, our "porch" is a mini roof we can climb to from Ben's window which overlooks the back parking lot. Now that it is warm I have a feeling we will spend a lot of time out there. I enjoyed my first roof experience here. It is also a good way to help monitor some of the "activities" that go on after dark in our parking lot. I think we might have stopped some drug deals! A few cars sped off after they spotted us. The rest of the weekend was even less eventful, so I can stop here. But I enjoyed it. The three of us left in Louisville had a nice, quiet weekend. The dynamic in the house really changes when you take half of us away. (but I was happy to see the rest return, in case you were worried!)

And one more thing. One of my housemates watches “Extreme Makeover Home Edition” on ABC every Sunday and I usually join her. We always comment that we should nominate our building for a makeover. Well I actually decided to do it. I have the application filled out and I started the video tonight. I think we have a great story - three non-profit organizations housed in a 50 year old school building! This place could definitely use some repairs & improvements. I will start filming at work tomorrow - the cute little kids will be the ones to sell this. Not that I actually expect we will be chosen, chances are slim to none, but it is fun to try! I think it fits in my job description as facilities manager. Why not try to get the community center a free makeover?

3 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, Blogger abby said...

That's awesome! There was actually a camp chosen really close to where I live. Maybe you do have a shot!

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger abby said...

Super cute pics!! I like the one with the worms. Were you hoping to make Reba scream again? I bet you could hear her from Louisville if she did.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Suzanna said...

Great idea! Good luck with it - I think you have a great story!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home