Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Nice long weekend!




This past Friday we had a fashion show during the after-school program for "Fun Friday." On the left is Alex, who decided to join the girls and put on make up. Above you can see Amela modeling on our makeshift runway. It went well, and was extremely loud (which is to be expected). Lots of the girls spent time doing hair and make-up before they walked the runway, and some dressed up. I partcipated. I wore a skirt for the first time to work, along with Alisa's cowboy boots. A lot of the girls screamed when they saw me and gave me a hug and told me how pretty I looked. They were excited that I was dressed up, which was cute. Luckily I avoided most of the boys, but Muya Muya did try to look up my skirt. And I have not been at work for the after-school program since Friday. It's been a nice few days off, for the most part. Keep reading to learn more.

I went home this past weekend and went up to Bluffton Monday evening in order to help my director Susan recruit for the urban corps program on Tuesday. As always, it was great to see my family and friends at home. I really do miss them and they always slide in comments about how I should move back to Columbus after this year is over, but I haven't made any decisions yet. (I have yet to hear back from grad schools, but I should soon, just waiting on Perry to send his letters of reccomendation!) On Saturday I spent the afternoon with Kim at a winterguard competition (colorguard without the marching band, and inside obviously). Our friend Jennilee is the colorguard instructor at one of the local high schools now, and she started her own winterguard. I was very impressed with Jenni's show! The music was from Phantom of the Opera, so of course I liked it! There were a lot of good guards there, so it was an entertaining afternoon. I can't believe I used to be in colorguard, it seems like so long ago! At the competition we ran into Erin S. who I hadn't seen for six months or so. And I also saw my old colorguard instructor (the nice one, not the psycho one) and one of my eighth grade teachers, who happened to be sitting next to us. How random. It was a little blast from the past. The rest of the weekend was good, hanging out with my family and friends. And I must say I had my fill of Italian food for awhile. Spageddies on Saturday, Macaroni Grill on Sunday, and Olive Garden on Monday.

My dad decided to come to Bluffton with me and we arrived at my grandma's house for dinner on Monday. Monday evening I got to hang out with Chad and Joel, and I figured out that Amanda had made the trip from NYC to Bluffton to recruit. So I tracked her down around midnight and got to see her for a little bit before she left the next morning. As Amanda and I were walking down the path by Ramseyer I felt like I had never left. It was weird to be back there and it made me realize I do miss my college days. Good times. I went to bed Monday night thinking what a great extended weekend I was having, but unfortunately I awoke at 3 a.m. with a slight problem. I won't go into details on my blog, but this happened to me about a year and a half ago, right after my grandpa passed away, and it was the same thing this time. No symptoms and then all the sudden I wake up in extreme discomfort and pain, and my dad ended up taking me to the Bluffton hospital at 4 a.m. There was no way I could wait for medicine. It finally kicked in around 7 and I was able to go to sleep for one hour before I had to get up. (Ok, I'll just say it, I have a urninary tract infection, which are common among women, yet the two times I have gotten them it has been absolutely horrible!! I should probably talk to a doctor or something). Somehow I made it through the day. Susan and I talked in Sue's classical theories of rhetoric class about the program and my experience. Then I sat in Marbeck for a couple hours during lunch at a booth and talked to people. It was rather surreal to be there. My dad and I left later that afternoon after visiting with my grandma more. I slept the whole car ride home. Then I relaxed a little bit at home, ate dinner with my family, and for some reason decided to make the drive back to Louisville like I had orginially planned. Let's just say it was not my brightest idea, but I made it! I had only slept two hours the night before and still wasn't feeling well, so it was a rough three and a half hours. I went to work this morning, but by 2:30 I realized there was no way I could make it through the after-school program with my fever and such. The doctor said to get plenty of rest, which I hadn't left myself do yet. So I slept all afternoon and it was wonderful. I still don't feel that great though.

Update: On Friday I was told by a few kids that Salim (one of the boys who was suspended) is going to beat me up. I was also told to "be ready." He was supposed to be back today, but I learned that he moved to Texas yesterday!! How random and out of the blue. So I guess he is not a problem anymore. But on a sadder note, his brother Juma also moved with him, and I am going to miss that kid! He was great, one of my favorites. And since Salim will no longer be at the program, Raymond said he will not come back either (the other boy who caused me problems). So I guess I don't have to worry about them anymore!

Okay, time for Lost!! I have to admit, I am addicted to Lost (anyone else see the commercial during the super bowl? it was great!)

8 Comments:

At 6:04 AM, Blogger Abby said...

I saw the commercial! I liked it too! And I too am addicted to Lost. The episode last night shocked me...I don't know what to think anymore, and I'm so ashamed of Charlie, I still thought there was hope for him after all. Now I'm disappointed!

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I've never seen Lost, but I feel lost sometimes.

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Chadd said...

I got lost following a detour last night.

 
At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

which 8th grade teacher?

oh and I think you should move back to Columbus too. There is practically no way I can make it to Louisville, at least within the next year because I'm so busy and you should be closer. Plus, if you move back there then I have another reason to try and convince Toby that we should move there after I graduate.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Maria said...

Mr. Fisher! And I should mention we were in Grove City, not Hilliard, which made it more random. He remembered all of us, which I found impressive.

 
At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I figured it was Mr. Fisher because if it were any of the other ones, especially Highman, I figured you would have left ;)

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Maria,
Check out this website:
http://abc.go.com/fsp/index.html?channel=Lost
You can watch the Lost commercial from the Super Bowl, plus a 3 minute extended version :)

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger abby said...

Aww...I hope you are feeling better now! I won't ask how you go it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home