Monday, April 03, 2006

Hooray for Spring!





Well I can't top Laura having her baby, but in addition to the birth of Trevor, April 1st was also the day of our community garden kick-off. We divided our garden into 50 plots and we have a diverse group of people signed up. It is an exciting project and a great way to get the neighborhood together. Saturday served as an orientation and gardeners had a chance to paint a sign to mark their plot. You can see the beautiful sign my housemate Katie painted for our plot. We haven't started planting yet. That shall come soon. A lot of our kids showed up because their families signed up for plots. They seem really excited about the garden. We have a few plots set aside just for the kids. We will be doing some gardening with them in the coming weeks. I guess I will be learning a few things! Luckily Saturday was a beautiful day for this event. It got a little out of control at the end when a lot of kids showed up (including ones banned from the center) and wanted to run through the garden and paint everything (including me). But for the most part, it was a good time.

The rest of the weekend was good too. We had a lot of visitors, so our house was full. Most of them were there because of the Humana Festival at the theatre. Friday night I got to see two more excellent plays back to back. The second one was put on by the apprentice company, so we got to see our housemate Ben in action. I also played pool two nights in a row, but I still suck. Actually I think I might be getting worse! Sunday's excitement was the weather. I was rather annoyed when they interrupted "Desperate Housewives" ten minutes in to report the same things over and over. Eventually the tornado sirens went off and we all hung out in the basement of the community ministries for awhile. We had bad weather, but no twisters near us.




That is us being scared because of the tornado warning! And that brings me to this week. It is spring break!! Not that I actually get the week off because I work at a community center, not a school, but it is still exciting. We are having spring break camp Tues, Wed, and Thurs for the kids, and earlier in the day which makes me happy. We have a lot of fun activities planned, most of them outdoors, so I hope the weather is nice. It will be a nice break from the norm. Today no kids and I got home at 5:00. What an easy day! Andrea and I had our "little sisters" over this evening. It had been a month since we saw them last because they were in the process of moving and we couldn't get a hold of them. We made cookies and played darts and they loved it. They are so easily entertained. But we now have a few extra holes in our wall due to their lack of aim. And here's a story for you: After we picked them up they talked about the new fish they got the whole car ride (which is unfortunately 20 minutes, I wish they lived closer). These fish really excited them. So when we dropped them off they really wanted us to come in and see the fish. Well we get up to their room and their favorite fish was not in the tank. I looked down and it was on the carpet dead!! Their cat knocked off the lid and threw it to the floor apparently. I felt so bad, but yet I had to try so hard not to laugh. Their mom promised them a new fish and they said a little prayer over it as they flushed it down the toilet. (including asking God to get them a new fish) If you had been there, I bet you would have been amused as well. And here's a picture of Krissy next to the first dart she got in the wall (several of them followed) Notice how it is nowhere near the dart board.
Well that's all for now, hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Oh yeah..one more thing, I tried Ethiopian food for the first time last week and I loved it! I always heard it is a little weird and assumed I wouldn't like it, but it's great. I even liked the spongy bread. I went with a bunch of my coworkers and we plan to go again sometime. Especially since this Ethiopian restaurant also has a bar which becomes a salsa club on the weekends! What a great combination!

6 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toby's friend Bill LOVES Ethiopian food. He talks about it all the time when he visits. In fact, he might be the one you are walking down the aisle with so now you have something to talk about!

I had a dream last night that Kim died when she was in Vietnam, and I called you to tell you she died and you just said "yeah whatever". I was really upset. And then Kim's ghost haunted me...weird huh?

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Abby said...

I had Ethiopian food once and absolutely hated it! But maybe it was just the place I ate, who knows...did you have to share a big meal with people? Or did you get your own individual meal? We had to share like 8 to a meal...of course it was a huge meal!! But still, a lot of people sharing with no silverware, not my thing!

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Yeah I remember the spongy bread and Abby not liking the Ethiopian. Spring there looks gorgeous!

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I remember eating Ethiopian food in Chicago! What great memories. I remember someone saying on the way to the restaurant, "I thought Ethiopians didn't have food." I don't remember who said that...
Anyway, I was really not a fan of the spongy bread, but I liked the rest!

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger abby said...

I second Laura's thoughts: yucky bread, but the food was good. And yes, it was me that thought Ethiopians didn't have food. My roommate lived there this summer and I'm not convinced otherwise - she's boney.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger abby said...

...but I love her dearly!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home