Sunday, March 12, 2006

Oh have I got a story for you!

I decided this story was good enough for a separate post. So when I arrived home last night around 2:30 a.m. there were three cop cars and an ambulance in the parking lot of the church next door, along with a few extra cars in our parking lot as always. Someone was being put in the ambulance on a stretcher. I didn't think much of it as I am used to seeing odd things in our parking lot. Plus I was very tired and just wanted to go to bed. Before I fell asleep I heard our phone ring and then a knock on my door, but decided to ignore it because I just wanted to sleep. Well I wish I would have gotten up to see the excitement, but only Alisa got to witness it. Around 3:30 a.m. as she was lying in bed, she heard some noises from outside her window (which faces the parking lot). She decided to look since her car window was smashed in last week (that's right, again) and therefore is a little paranoid. She saw a woman in a white tube top dress carrying a red can of gasoline. She put it in her car and drove away. And right then, an SUV sitting in our parking lot BURST INTO FLAMES! That's right, a car was lit on fire in our parking lot last night. Luckily Alisa witnessed it and called 911 and the fire was put out. After she spoke with the cops last night and the fire marshall today, I think we have figured out what happened. First someone slashed the tires of the SUV, for a reason unknown to us. The owner of the SUV then beat up the person who did this (this is the fight I saw the end of in the parking lot next door). So the wife of the person who was beat up returned to the SUV and lit it on fire! I think I got that right. The beat up SUV was still there this morning. The cops were shocked that we do not have security cameras in our parking lot. It is something that is really needed. The community center could really use them. Edgardo had me look into getting cameras after two of our computers were stolen, a few months ago but what it came down to is we do not have enough money (the joy of nonprofits!) So nothing was ever done. I think I will bring up this issue again in tomorrow's staff meeting. We need to find the money somewhere. The warmer weather has brought the return of the Bosnians (the large group of people with their loud cars and illegal activity that like to hang out in our parking lot at all hours). And I don't think I ever mentioned that a pair of tennis shoes were hung from our telephone wires again about a month ago. So I had the joy of calling LG&E again to get them removed. Since it has happened twice, I think it must mean something. (gang activity, place to get drugs, etc.) Well, despite all this, I still love our neighborhood!

5 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Boy Maria! This story certainly makes me want to pack up my things and come visit you! :)

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Cameras? Just hire a guard or two.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Maria said...

Hmmm...don't have the money to do that either. But that would be great.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger abby said...

wow - your neighborhood just screams "Come and visit!!"

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger abby said...

P.S. I do want to visit though! I need to meet this Alisa I've heard so much about. Maybe May-June?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home