Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I hate making up titles!


Well to go along with my last entry, today was a great day at work. Things were so calm! It was amazing. And I got to spend some quality time with a few of the kids. Completely opposite of last Wednesday, which I think was the most insane day ever so far (which is saying a lot). But I don't need to go into that story. But just to make my point again, my job has its good days and its bad days, but I still really enjoy it. The first two days of this week were pretty stressful (combined with my most emotional days of the month), and I ended up staying late both days to talk about it with other staff. I found this really helps. After a crazy day at work I need to talk to someone about it, and then I feel better. It's bad to keep things inside. Update: So I brought in the picture of Adam and I last Tuesday and said he was my boyfriend. It turned into we are getting married, so I went along with it. It worked wonders the first couple days. The boys really were leaving me alone. But after this weekend they seemed to forget about it. And now the two main boys who give me trouble are suspended. Last night I went out to the parking lot to encourage the crowds of kids to go home. Raymond was fighting with some kid on a bike, and the bike was about to run into a car. As I'm trying to get them to stop Raymond keeps kising my hand as I'm yelling at him. Then Salim corners me and starts telling me how he is in love with me. Ok, so these boys are 15 & 16 and both taller than me. They never listen to me and are always harassing me. I went upstairs after these incidents and talked to my supervisor about them and burst into tears (yeah..it's that time of the month). She decided it is finally time to suspend them for a week. They have had several warnings. I realized last night that their behavior really does upset me. I try to act like it isn't a big deal and sometimes I think I shouldn't be bothered by it and maybe I'm too nice to them and that's why they take advantage of me. And then I realized, hey, just because they are high schoolers doesn't mean what they are doing to me isn't sexual harassment. And I don't have to take it! ha ha So yeah it was nice not to have them around today.

This past weekend was nice. As you can see from the picture, Andrea and I hung out with our "little sisters" again on Saturday. What a beautiful day it was! I definitely think it is the only time I have worn a short sleeve shirt outside in January! We let them see our apartment and then took them to Iroquois Park down the street and hiked up to the top where there is a nice view of the city. They loved it. They are so cute and I think it is definitely a good thing that we are getting them out of their house once and awhile. They need it. When I was taking them home Krissy asked if we could hang out again tomorrow. How cute.

I can now say that I have seen every episode of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." All seven seasons. Don't know if that is a thing to be proud of or not! But I have to admit that I love that show. I finished it Sunday night. So I finally know how the series ended. It's kind of sad that I don't have anymore to watch! I watched the first season for my television criticism paper back in April, and then just kept going. Thanks to everyone who let me borrow their DVDs (Gill, Vicki, & Alisa's brother). I am also all caught up with "Lost". I need another television show to get into!

Oh, I finally saw the movie "Rent" the other night. And I loved it!! I had never seen it on stage, so I didn't know much about the story. It made me cry. And I want the soundtrack!! I can add Rent to my list of musical movies I am obsessed with. What great music.

Finally, I just have to say something about Bush's State of the Union address. Now, I didn't waste my time watching it. I decided watching "Moulin Rouge" was more important. All I did was glance at a headline on CNN.com and see a quote about the defining moral standards of our country. Can someone please tell me what they are? I didn't realize America was "moral."

Ok I'm done!

3 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, Blogger Abby said...

I'm glad to hear those two boys were kicked out. It is so hard to differentiate harmless teasing/flirting and harassment sometimes. I'm glad they're taking it seriously.

Also, I would not tell too many people you've seen all of the episodes of Buffy. We're you're friends and we can forgive you, but others may not be able to get past it :)

Oh, and about Lost...I'm ticked! I was at a family support meeting for family of eating disorder patients until 8 and RUSHED home to see Lost, hoping I would only miss about 15 minutes. Then, I get home and realize it's a RERUN! Why does Lost have so many reruns? Ok, I'm done.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger abby said...

I'm glad the boys got suspended. I don't care how old they/you are. No means no!
I'm sorry to hear that you have so much trouble with your boys. My youth group boys are hilarious - it's like they fight to see who can be most gentleman-like around us (only when we are paying attention though of course).

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Your little "sisters" are so cute! And, I think it was great for you to talk to your supervisor about those boys in the program. Hopefully, this will be a learning experience for them. They need to learn how to treat girls with respect now (since they obviously didn't learn it in the past).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home