Sunday, January 21, 2007

Sick of Being Sick

I think this was the title of one of my posts way back when I had strep throat. Well this still holds true, but this time I have an upper respiratory infection, which is equally no fun. Thankfully I did not wait as long to go to the doctor this time to get medicine for it. It suddenly hit me Tuesday evening while I was helping kids with homework at Americana. I somehow drug myself to work Wednesday morning and survived for a few hours on Theraflu. (the problem is if I don't show up, there is no one to open the building!) I left work early and spent the next couple of days sleeping and watching Buffy episodes. It is nice to have a chance to relax, but not so nice considering how crappy I felt and that I am getting behind on things. Luckily it happened in the beginning of the semester, so school work is not much of an issue. There were several things I was hoping to accomplish during my practicum hours last week, but I only had three of them, so that didn't work out. Other than missing practicum, I also missed work, which means no money. So that is bad too. I make enough to cover my bills and that is about it, so I will be pulling money from other sources to pay my rent next month. I was lucky not to get sick last semester. I am feeling better now, but still not the best. I am not sure how this week will go. My schedule is not an easy one. There will be no relaxing after today. I am not sure my body is ready for that. I spent the majority of this weekend doing nothing, which was needed. But I did venture out of the house Friday night for a poker game with my coworkers. I did not win a single hand for the first 3/4 of the game, and this picture was taken right after I finally won a hand! ( I should mention the last time we got together and played I did not win a hand the whole night, and was the only one). I did not end up winning, but got 3rd place, which isn't too bad. Alright, back to studying now.

Oh wait, I have to complain about something first. One of my issues with the student health center on campus is parking. Ok, I am sick. Really sick. I am having trouble breathing and barely have the energy to stand up. Do they have parking anywhere near the student health center? Of course not. On top of that, I am expected to pay for parking to go to a doctor? I don't think so. Even so, the closest paid parking was all full. If I had followed the rules, I would have had to park pretty far from the student health center. Instead, I just parked at the McDonald's across from campus. I still had to walk a good 5-10 minutes though, in freezing cold weather (yes, it actually felt like winter that day). The walk was rather harsh on my sore throat and breathing difficulty. Don't you think they should have parking for sick people by the health center?? Just a thought. I also think I could have been prescribed some better medicine for my problem, but oh well.

5 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

It seems like we're reaching the age where 1. you have responsibilities (other people are actually dependent on you) and 2. it sometimes feels good to spend an evening at home doing nothing. Okay, that sounds boring, but I don't think it has to be.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I hope you feel better soon!

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Reba, I agree with you. I used to look forward to weekends with fun things to do, now I look forward to a weekend with nothing to do. I guess I'm getting old and boring, but I can't help it. Anyways, I hope you feel better, Maria! (I was in Columbus Friday and I went to Polaris, it was awesome!)

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger abby said...

Hey! I remember that guy! It looks like he's kicking your butt! lol About the cold - my remedy is water, Vit. C, and Zinc. They help to boost your immune system and work especially well if you take them starting at the first sign of sickness.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger abby said...

Has anyone switched to "Beta"? What the heck does that mean anyway?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home