Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Lots of adjustments

Chiropractic Update: So I decided to go to the chiropractor for a year. A lot of committment. But if what Abby Mo says is true, I think I will be in much better health all around next year. The chiropractor told me that I could see her for a month and get relief from the pain I am having, or keep coming regularly for a year and fully correct the problem. So I chose the latter. I have to go three times a week for 4 weeks (luckily only two more weeks of this - just a little hard to fit in my schedule). Then 2 times a week for 6 weeks. The once a week for another amount of time. Then ending with once every other week. The cost of all of this, including x-rays, is about $1,300 with my insurance. I am now in the process of seeing how much I can get this covered by Americana and Urban Corps since I was at work when this injury happened. Hopefully most of it, and my parents are willing to help also. I am very glad I do not have to worry about this cost. I have been to the chiropractor five times now and I am really starting to feel better. Adjustments sure are an interesting thing. And they are not just focusing on that. I will also meet with a physical therapist some of the time and I have exercises for my neck to do twice a day at home. Next will come strengthening. Who knew all this would come from a basketball in the head! Since I have back pain too in general, they took x-rays of that last week and found there is some work to be done there as well. So I am just getting fixed all over. Wish me luck.

Things aren't going the best at my practicum. I shouldn't write too much detail on here. But my practicum supervisor returns next week, who has been gone for three weeks, and I think things will get better. I set goals and objectives for the semester with her back in the beginning and I have yet to be able to implement any of them, which is obviously just a little frustrating. Bottom line, I have been relied on as a regular staff, which I was told I wouldn't be. But some unforseen things happened and that is life. We got a new person this week and she seems great so far, and another new one should be starting next week. I think I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. But right now I am not in a very good place. The supervision I have been doing while my regular supervisor is gone has not been very helpful to me. I leave each session feeling knocked down and discouraged, completely opposite of how I should be feeling. I am not being encouraged to do the goals I helped come up with, but instead being told what I should do instead, and it is not what I had in mind. I should stop here before it goes on. The great staff and kids keep me going, that is when they aren't mad at me for being the "mean" Ms. Maria. However if things seriously do not get better, I am thinking of changing my practicum next semester (it is supposed to be for the whole year). I would still work at Americana though. I really don't think it will come to that though, at least I really hope so!

I have been super busy lately because I had several assignments due this week, including a ten page paper. And I still have one more paper to write for Friday (but only three pages). I decided to take the night off school work. Pretty much all I did this whole past weekend was read and write papers. Not much fun. I did take a break on Saturday to go over to our friends' place and watch a couple episodes of "Firefly." What a great show! Created by the same guy who did "Buffy." It only lasted a season though, but it is so good. Can't go wrong with space cowboys I guess. In other exciting pop culture news, the new Evanescence CD came out yesterday! They hadn't released a new once since their debut over three years ago. So I was very excited. I love it. And the premeire of Lost was tonight! I really hope they start answering some questions soon too! But it was a good one. And another thing to look forward too....I have a "fall break" soon. No classes Monday or Tuesday. I still have to go to work and practicum, but get out of 3 classes, plus doing the work I would do for these classes. But there is a lot I should catch up on. I also have some fun plans for this weekend, including seeing "Rent" which is in town! I am so excited! I am looking forward to a fun weekend because I really need it. I hope I can survive these two years.

6 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger Suzanna said...

So sorry I haven't been on here for awhile! And, so sorry about your neck!! I used to get chiroprachty (is that a word?!?!) for my knee and I loved it! I hope it works really well for you!! I'll give you a call sometime - things have been crazy around here!

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger abby said...

Maria - good for you! And that is even more awesome that you don't have to pay for all of it. But seriously folks - what price can you put on wellness and vitality? We should talk soon and figure out a good visit weekend - KY was so pretty to drive through in the fall last year!
ps, no it's not a word, but nice try! lol

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Maria, I'm glad you found a solution to your neck problems! As for Lost, I have developed a love, hate relationship with it. I get so frustrated and hate the show, but I love it too much to stop watching it. Does that make sense?

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

My grandma was one of chiropractry's first fans. She sent my dad and his siblings there when they were little and permanently injured one of my aunts backs. I'm sure it's a lot better now.

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Maria said...

Thanks for the encouragement Rebekah!!!

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Maria said...

and Abby, yes I understand the love/hate relationship with Lost. I might have it a little too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home