Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Wonderful trip to PA



After having a week long vacation at the beach, then a four day holiday weekend, and working two days, I went on another mini-vacation to exotic Pennsylvania! Bridget and I made the trip together from Columbus. Chad and Joel were also there (Joel all the way from Iowa!) And Abby Mo flew in from St. Louis (unfortunately her plane was delayed so she arrived Sunday instead of Saturday). I was so glad to get the chance to see Rebekah while she is briefly at home, before her return to Bangladesh (which I learned is pronounced BONGladesh). We had a great time and it was so nice to see everyone! Those who weren't there were missed. It's hard to believe it had been a year since I have seen Rebekah - this year has flown by. And in case you are wondering - she's still our same old Reba! Bangladesh hasn't changed her too much :) And Reba - I miss you already! See you next year? Some highlights of our time together: the Wingert's hospitality and cooking (we were fed very, very well), hiking, putt-putt, Abby putting her chiropractic knowledge to the test and giving us some adjustments (oh my goodness my back cracked so loud), Hindi movies (Neal and Nikki!), and of course simply enjoying eachother's company. It was a great trip and a nice break from work (again!). I came back late Monday night and again thrown back into work. Today I didn't even have time to eat lunch. But things should be ten times less stressful next week when Louise returns from Africa. Can't wait for that. But things are going pretty well there. The house is pretty quite this week because there are only three of us in town. I can't wait until we are all back because the program ends in less than a month now and I won't be seeing these people daily anymore (except Alisa of course). I'll miss them. I can't believe this year is ending.

One more thing that has been a stress for me lately: the ridiculous cost of healthcare. I was kicked off my dad insurance when I turned 23 at the end of May. I have insurance with the program, but it is crap. Doesn't really pay for anything. And unfortunately I am a person who gets sick and has to go to the doctor and get medicine. Singulair: $92. Antibiotics: $65. One doctor's visit: $83. Just for some examples. Ridiculous. This is the one money thing that really stresses me out because I can't control how often I get sick (which unfortunately seems to happen often). And I am about to start grad school and just took out my first loan. Scary! (and yes I realize how incredibly lucky I am to have no loans from college). Ok the end.

6 Comments:

At 8:04 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Yes, medical costs are absolutely insane...welcome to the "adult" world :) And I am so depressed I couldn't go see Reba, thanks for rubbing it in... :) Just in case you were wondering, I have ALMOST accumulated 1 vacation day now, I am up to like 7.8 hours paid time off accumulated... yet another joy of the "adult" world.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger abby said...

it could be worse! Robb had to work an entire year before he got his first vacation day!

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger abby said...

and yes - I agree - healthcare is america is rediculous. It should be called sickcare because no one can afford preventative care.

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Laura said...

:( I'm so sad I missed all the fun! I'm glad you all had a great time though!
And, loans aren't so bad...I have a bunch. Though I do remember what it felt like to have my first loan, and it is a little unsettling.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Suzanna said...

My loans are definetely no fun, but I think I'm getting some forgiven because I work at a poor school - YEAH! Sorry for all the healthcare stuff!! I got lucky there as the school district has a pretty good plan, but I know a lot of my kidos don't have healthcare and so when anything goes wrong, they just kind of stay sick :(.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

I'm glad I'm the same, but I'm not glad stuff is so expensive. My eye exam was $85, and my contacts $33. Then my doctors appointment was $65, and my medicine $30. I was only with the doctor for 15 minutes. In Bangladesh my dentist appointment was only $11. Here it would be at least $80, and it's the exact same-I had a Western doctor with normal western toothcare.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home