Monday, June 12, 2006

Eastern Kentucky





The LUC had a great trip to Eastern Kentucky last week. It was absolutely beautiful there. We spent the week doing random service projects for different organizations (food boxes, creek clean-up, planting trees, moving stuff, etc.). We also learned a lot about the area and met some quality people. And we went on a couple great hikes. Like I said, it was gorgeous there. I really liked the area and was sad to learn about the coal mining practices, like mountain top removal. If you aren't aware, they actually blow the tops off mountains because it is the cheapest and easiest way to extract coal, and also horrible for the environment and the people who have to live there. The mountain tops have to go somewhere - these valley fills have covered up hundreds of miles of creeks and ruined the area's drinking water, among other environmental problems. Although the coal companies get rich off the business, none of the money stays in the area and there is a very high poverty rate. And did you know you can't buy bottled water with food stamps? Not good for poor families who can't drink their own water. Can we say social justice? Eastern Kentucky could really use some!
The most interesting service project was doing the creek clean-up. I expected just picking up trash, but we dug some crazy stuff up from that creek and hauled it to the side of the road (not easy work!) This picture is an example - I'm not really sure what it is. Something you attach to a truck to pull things I believe (the word for this is escaping me right now) We also found a patio umbrella, a conveyor belt, and some car parts.

Alright, for some reason this stupid thing never lets me put more than three pictures on a post, so this will have to do. I have a lot of great pictures. Anyways, I really enjoyed the trip and a break from the city and work! We got back Friday evening and then I spent the weekend in Cincinnati to visit Vicki. I wasn't quite ready to go back to work today.

So today was the first day of our summer program and I am already exhausted. I hope I have enough energy to make it through this summer. It went okay I guess - but it is hard to pull this off without the support of a full staff. And the kids expect things to be like they were in previous summers, and we are far from it. We are trying our best, but I heard a lot of complaints today. And to top it all off, I was hit in the head by a basketball! The gym was a litlte chaotic with balls flying everywhere. I am actually surprised it took 10 months for something like this to occur with my working conditions! This ball was thrown HARD and it hit me in the back of the head. I blacked out for a second - next thing I knew I was on the ground with a throbbing head and kids swarming around me to see if I was ok. Needless to say I have a horrible headache. I hope it doesn't last long. I need to get some sleep now.

3 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Blogger Suzanna said...

I hope your head is doing better!! Good luck with things...I have a hard enough time controlling my 30 kids let alone all the kids you must have...I applaud you!!

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I just think the work you do is amazing! I hope your head recovers. And, it is neat to see you in a picture sitting on a round bale of hay! My family used to bale hay, and my brother, sister, and I used to play hide and seek among the bales. It was quite fun :)

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Maria,
you should have gone on my cross cultural trip to WV, the entire thing was learning about coal mining...it's really sad for everyone involved, except of course the coal mine "bosses" or whoever it is getting the money.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home