Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Random Story

So here's an amusing little story (in my mind at least) that I deem post-worthy.

Background: The former financial manager at work, my friend Nedjmija, was one of the employees recently laid off (it kind of worked out for her since she is spending two months in Europe this summer and it looks like they might have the money to rehire her in the fall) Anyways, she has been training another employee to take over for her temporarily. I offered to do the weekly shopping for our supplies, which was one of Nedjmija's duties. They decided it wasn't worth switching over the names on the credit cards since she will most likely be back. I have used these work credit cards with her name on them several times and just sign my name. This was never an issue until my first visit to Sam's Club last week....

Story: First of all, can I mention that I hate Sam's Club. That place gives me a headache. If you've ever been to Sam's Club, you know that you have to be a member to shop there. I am using a card that says Americana Community Center, but also has the name Nedjmija Bosnjakovic on it, along with her picture. No one questioned me when I was entering (it's not like they really look at the card anyways). However the lady at the checkout counter took my card, and then kept looking at the card and then me. My first thought was she could obviously see that it was not me and was going to call me out (can you get in trouble for this?) Instead she asked "how do you say your name?" I responded with the first name. Of course she wanted to know how to say the last name as well (luckily Nedjmija has taught me how to pronounce this). Then the lady said "oh, is that german?" No, it is Bosnian, I replied. I proceeded to tell this woman that I am from Bosnia, but I moved here when I was a baby, which is why I don't have an accent. During this whole conversation I was debating whether to keep it up, or admit that I am not Nedjmija Bosnjakovic (because I think it is rather obvious that I am American!) To make it worse, the lady kept saying "Did you find everything you like Nedjmja?" and "can I help you with anything else Nedjmija?" I felt really stupid. And when it came time to sign, I realized I couldn't just sign my name like usual due to our in-depth conversation, so I signed hers (although I couldn't remember how to spell her last name, so it was just a B with scribbles after it). Nedjmija got a kick out of this story and told me to just sign "NB" in the future. She also said no one has ever started a conversation with her like that. Of course it happened to me. I wonder if I am going to have to keep up this Bosnian facade every time I go to Sam's Club...

That's my story. Hope you found it amusing.

3 Comments:

At 7:40 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Maria, that is great! You -from Bosnia!!! I would love to meet the woman who believed this story!

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Abby said...

That is a great story. I thought for sure you were going to stay you got busted....maybe you should go into acting :)

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger abby said...

Haha! I bet Indira would laugh if she heard you were claiming to be Bosnian.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home