Thursday, June 22, 2006

I Need A Vacation....

And I am getting one! I leave for Hilton Head Island tomorrow morning with my family. They are coming here to pick me up and then we are off. I am excited for a chance to relax and lay out on the beach! And spend time with my family. And hopefully fix the self tanner mistake on my legs. It shall be a great week. Time is going so fast. I can't believe June is almost over.

We had sumo wrestling as an activity today in the spirit of Asia week (seven week program - different continent theme each week). Here is one of the cutest little girls, United, in one of the sumo outfits that Dominique created. Can I just say that this was absolutely hilarious. We had the gym set up like an arena and let every kid who wanted to have their chance in the ring. This had the potential to be very hazardous, but it turned out just fine. It was a lot of fun.

So work has been going well, but busy. Now that my headaches are mostly gone, I have a more positive attitude. As of today, we have one new staff person and one junior counselor for the summer program. So that is great for us and now I don't feel quite as sorry for the staff left behind while I am at the beach! I think the summer program is going pretty well - the kids keep coming back so it must not be too bad. And I am enjoying the chance to get to know some new kids that are coming.

So I have worked nine hours straight the past two days. Since I have plenty to do I barely realize how long I am there - time goes so fast. However I do miss my nice one hour lunch breaks while watching Days of our Lives (I no longer get a lunch break and eat with the kids) And I miss Louise who went back to Rwanda for three and a half weeks (one of the reasons I have been so busy - I feel like I am doing a little bit of everyone's job). Again - I am really looking forward to this vacation!

Another funny thing about today - So we have been without a person to pick up the trash outside the building for awhile now. And believe me - there is a heck a lot of trash out there and we have a pretty big space, including soccer fields. For the past couple weeks, I have been picking up as much trash as I can while I am outside with the kids and getting quite sick of it. So I passed it off to the kids today. I decided they receive five "good ones" for filling a bag of trash (just for an idea of the scope of this - we filled about 12 bags today). They use their good ones to buy prizes. Hooray for cheap labor! So many kids jumped at the chance to do this. I think I should raise their pay because it is not an easy job, especially in the heat.

Ok off to bed. Hilton Head here I come!

3 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Blogger Suzanna said...

Good job getting the kids to pick up trash! Don't worry - I bribed my kids to help me clean our classroom!! Have an awesome vacation - you definetely deserve it!

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I don't know what it is that makes kids like to help clean in a classroom. My kids jumped at the chance and about killed eachother over who would get to clean the board and take down old bulletin board stuff.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger abby said...

That's awesome! I guess I see the lure of using foreign kids to do our manual labor! If they are willing... Have a fun vacation and say Hi to the family (and the beach) for us all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home