Saturday, June 17, 2006

Good News?

We just found out Thursday that we received a $10,000 grant to use for the summer program. Yes this is very good news and I feel like I should be more excited about it. I do think it is a great thing, but it would have been a lot easier if we had received this money before we did all the planning for the summer program. We had a meeting yesterday about how we can extend the program now and it just stressed me out - which I attribute mostly to the pounding headache I had. It will just be a little difficult to figure out what we can do now in the midst of the actual program going on. Thankfully we have the money now for a little more staff - in addition to Shavaun and I, Dominique will be with us every day (instead of 10 hours a week we can now pay him 28 hours a week - big difference!) We can also hire one more staff person and two junior counselors (high school students). Although I have a feeling it will be a little difficult to find someone available now, for the staff person at least. Please pray that we find a great person soon! Once we find the staff, we will accept more kids and add one hour of activities (two was suggested - but I think one is better for our stress levels). With the money, we can bring in more outside people to do activities (like artists) and go on a few field trips. So that is exciting. And we can plan crafts that involve something more than construction paper and popsicle sticks! I just hope I feel better soon because it is not easy doing this job when you don't feel your best. And I don't see how I can do everything in an 8 hour work day. I have to be with the kids the four hours they are there as a regular staff person - and the other four hours I am supposed to be a youth programs co-coordinator, the facility manager, and for the three and a half weeks Louise will be gone - the administrative assistant. Hmmm....does anyone else see a flaw in this? Once my headache goes away I hope to be more optimistic about all this. I'm sure it will all work out....right?

P.S. More good news: As a part of the budget, Shavaun and I will both be given a $400 stipend at the end of the summer for our hard work! (she is an Americorps volunteer) Unexpected money is always great.

3 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Blogger abby said...

Hallelujah! God is so good at answering prayers! That's awesome that you get more help with the summer programs! Good luck!

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Suzanna said...

Congratulations!! I'm so glad that you got that grant, it sounds great for you and the kids! I hope your headache is gone and stays away!

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Yeah for the youth program and unexpected money!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home