Sunday, June 04, 2006

Quick Update

Hello - just a quick post to say things have been going well. Last week at work was spent planning for a mini version of the summer program we are going to try to pull off. It starts June 12 and goes to the end of July. We will have activities Monday-Thursday and use Friday as chance to take a break and plan for the next week. I hope it goes well - we will be relying a lot on volunteers! Shavaun and I will be the only summer program staff there every day. It shall be interesting. (did I mention we have been given the titles of youth programs co-coordinators? I was not told this, but saw my name in print with this title!)

So I told Edgardo this past week that if there is money in the budget, I would like to contiune my work at Americana as a part-time job. He said yes. My job will be facility manager/writing the newsletter/administrative duties (getting paid for this will seem weird!) It was also officially confirmed that I will be having my practicum at Americana. This has to be completely separate from my job. It will be with the youth programs - I'm not sure if I've said this on here, but we will have money for youth programs in the fall. We just have to make it through the summer with very limited funding. Anyways, my practicum will be with the after-school program, but I will have different responsibilities as a social work intern than I did in the past as a regular staff member. So after my year of service is over in mid-August I will move into an apartment and start school soon after. But I will pretty much be at Americana the same amount as I am now, plus four classes. Hmmm...I will be busy. I knew I needed to have some sort of job to make money and I'm glad I don't have to start something new! This makes things a lot easier.

Ok so this update hasn't been so quick. I had a good weekend and tomorrow morning the Urban Corps is leaving for Whitesburg (Eastern Kentucky) for a week. We will be doing some service work/visiting the area. I am looking forward to the trip and a week off work. I will return Saturday sometime. I'll let you know how the trip goes. As of now I'm not really sure what we will be doing all week! I'll find out tomorrow - it should be an experience!

1 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I hope your trip is fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home