Wednesday, May 24, 2006

More Ramblings

I had a day off today which was wonderful! I worked so much last week, plus the yard sale on Saturday, that I was told I could take a day off. I had plenty to do and didn't get half of it done. But one of my accomplishments of the day can be seen in this picture. The former youth programs coordinator (who I miss so much!) is having a wedding reception on Saturday (she was married in Nicaragua and never had a reception here). Anyways she told me on her last day that she didn't have any pictures of the kids, and I was thinking what I should get her, and then the obvious clicked in my brain. So I made this collage for her of the kids. I love it and want to keep it for myself. I will just have to make another one in the future. (And as far as I know, she has no idea that my blog exists, so I don't think I ruined the surprise)

I also got my hair cut today (it had been awhile since my last one - remember that episode??) Anyways, I thought I would include another haircut story to keep the tradition going. I went to a hair design school so I could get a cheap but hopefully good haircut, and it worked out! The student I ended up getting said he has been styling hair for six years, but just moved to Kentucky so he had to go back to school for a few weeks because of a technicality. So I lucked out. I like my hair and it only cost $12 (a lot cheaper than what I usually pay...) However it did take him ONE HOUR AND TWENTY MINUTES to wash, cut, and style my hair. And this is with no breaks - I was his only customer. A little on the long side...good thing it was my day off!

So this past weekend was pretty good. Friday night was our good friend Steven's birthday and he had a party at his trailer in Southern Indiana with a "lawn games" theme. It was a fun party. And my birthday is this Friday (in case you forgot!) and I will also be having a party. Wish y'all could come!

Saturday was the yard sale and I am glad that is over! It was my first yard sale, and I did nearly all the work for it. I made Americana $300 and got rid of A LOT of stuff, so I would say it was a success! I started setting up at 7 a.m., by myself, but thankfully some other people came to help me out. I kept the sale going for 8 hours and by the end I was so exhausted. I just left everything out and made it a free for all. It was so funny to watch the kids pile up stuff in trash bags, place it on their heads in true African style, and attempt to ride away on their little bikes.

I finally sucked it up and went to the doctor this week. I am now on two daily prescriptions for my allergies. It is already starting to help which is a good sign. I just don't like the idea of taking medicine every day, and having to pay for it, but it should be worth it. The doctor told me I looked miserable, which I was.

One more thing I wanted to say - I finally have a host family here. This was something our director said we would have in the beginning, but it never happened. Then our pastor decided to get us all set up with families. My host dad is Dave (who you know as the Amish man at the Derby). Anyways his family took me out to dinner and for icecream on Monday. They have two adorable little kids. It was a good time.

Alright goodbye for now!

Oh wait - so the season finale of Lost was tonight - and oh my goodness! What an addicting show. I love it and hate it for leaving so much unanswered! No new episodes for a few months, it is rather sad.

5 Comments:

At 3:00 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Is that your room? The collage looks great. I want a haircut!

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Maria said...

it is not my room, it is the living room

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger abby said...

The hair looks great! I'm glad you've found releif from your allergies...but you should try chiropractic! (I'm so predictable these days!)

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Abby said...

I totally agree with your feelings about Lost, I could go on and on, but I'm not going to start...we'll just have to wait until the fall :(

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Suzanna said...

Hey, happy birthday! I'm glad to hear the garage sale went well - it's awesome you did all that work for Americana!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home