Sunday, May 07, 2006

Derby!



Yesterday was a very long and a very fun day. It was definitely an experience. We were up a little after 6 a.m. to get an early bus to Churchill Downs. We arrived to meet Dave, who goes to our church and is involved with Urban Corps. He calculated that this was his 30th Derby. Dave is hardcore. Every year he arrives at 7 a.m. to claim a place in line before the gates open at 8 a.m. When the gates open, he sprints across the field to stake out his territory with tarps. This year Emily ran with him while the rest of us got to take our time. The sprinting is worth it. We got a space right by the fence around the track. So we could actually see the horses when they ran by (and I was amazed by how fast they were!) I should mention we were in the infield where thousands upon thousands of people come to experience Derby. Most of them can't see a damn thing. But we could. It cost $40 to enter the infield. I don't even want to think how much actual seats cost. And did I mention that every year Dave comes to the Derby decked out in Amish gear? (he is a Mennonite). He is always interviewed by reporters and people come up to take pictures with him. Here he is explaining to us the art of betting on horse races (he even had a spreadsheet analysis - like I said, very hardcore)


The races started around 11. The Derby is the tenth race which was around 6. Like I said, it was a long day. I put a few bets on the Derby. Unfortunately I did not win anything. But I only lost $9. I should have put some money on Barbaro. He was the favorite, but as Dave pointed out, the favorite had only won once in the past 15 years. So this made the second time.

So what did we do to pass the time? Time was spent napping, walking around in the crowds, standing in long lines, and of course, drinking some mint juleps, the official drink of the Kentucky Derby. Dave and his friends have a mint julep race, or the "Drinking Derby" which can be seen on the bright green poster which marked our spot. They had little horses which moved a spot on the track every time they finished a drink. The picture above is Dave and his friend "The Checkerboard Buddha" with the first mint juleps of the day (at 8:30 in the morning). I had a couple myself. I think this was the first time I have had a drink so early in the morning! They cost a disgusting $9 a piece! (I only paid for one, and I got to keep my glass...) There is a great story behind the "Checkerboard Buddha" which I would love to tell you sometime if you want to hear it.

It was a fabulous day. I heard lots of horror stories about the infield before I went, but it really wasn't that bad. Yes there was lots of drunkeness, but I didn't see anything too crazy. And the weather was perfect! No rain, so no mud, and not too hot. But definitely sunny. I could always brag that I have never had a sunburn, but I got one yesterday. We were in the sun for a long time. The back of my shoulders are red today and they hurt a little bit. And my face is hot. But it's not too bad. After the Derby race we headed home. The traffic was going to be horrible no matter what, so we walked. We are only a couple miles from the Downs. It took about an hour. We probably could have made it faster if we weren't so dead tired. What a way to end the day. I collapsed on our futon once arriving in the door at 8 p.m. Once I woke up I was too tired to make myself something to eat, so I had Hot Cheetos and icecream for dinner. Not a good idea. I awoke in the middle of the night with a very upset stomach. Lots of sun, some alcohol, and a dinner like mine do not make a good combination. I will end the post with some more pictures of the day. (pictures to come soon....computer being stubborn!)

5 Comments:

At 5:36 AM, Blogger Laura said...

It sounds like quite an experience! I love the pictures!

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Abby said...

It sounds like you had a lot of fun! I watched it on tv, but I'm guessing that's not the same...

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Suzanna said...

Yeah, thanks for the pictures! I don't think I've ever watched in on tv, but it sounds pretty exciting if you're there!!

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger abby said...

I like the Amish attire! Too bad you all didn't go Amish - that would be even better!

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Whenever I come home and am sad that no one is staring at me, I am glad that I now have the idea to dress Amish and carry around a drink.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home