Friday, December 30, 2005

An Embarrassing/Amusing Story

I decided to treat myself to a nice haircut and eyebrow wax while I am at home with the unexpected money I got as a Christmas bonus. I haven't had my hair cut in months and it needed it. I made my appointment a few days ago with the same stylists I have been going to for a long time now. This place is a little on the expensive side, but I love how they do my hair and eyebrows, so I still go once and awhile. Well when I walk in this morning and tell them my name, they said I did not have an appointment! Someone screwed up in the phone room and didn't even schedule me at all, although I got a reminder e-mail about my appointments. So I was very confused. Amelia had time to do my eyebrows, which was good because she is my favorite. But Abby, the girl who has cut my hair for probably the last two years, was booked for the rest of the day. And today was the last chance I had to get my haircut there before I go back to Louisville. So they squeezed me in with someone else. I was already annoyed with the situation and hoping to get some sort of discount. So I tried to describe to this lady how Abby always does my hair. After she finished styling it I looked in the mirror and did not like my hair at all. So I walk up to the checkout counter more annoyed and find out that this lady is more expensive than Abby! They could at least have told me. I told them I did NOT want to schedule any future appointments and walked out, now even more annoyed. I sit down in my car and look in the mirror and start bawling! (yes it is about that time of the month). I think the main frustration was that I just spent a lot of money and did not get what I wanted. I love how Abby does my hair and it is always fun to have your hair looking perfect for at least one day. So after I calmed down I decided to go back in and say something, which is something I would not normally do. I asked to talk to the manager and explained to her what was wrong and of course I started crying. So imagine me crying to the manager in the wating room of a fancy salon with everyone staring at me. I was very embarrassed, but for some reason could not stop myself from crying. I went in there with the philosophy that if you go to a restaurant and they mess up your food, you get a free meal. But that is not how this place works. All she offered me was to go to another stylist and have them fix it, but I said that's not what I wanted. She said since I was unhappy with my hair, getting my money back would not make me happy. Boy was she wrong. Well she was trying to convince me to stay and have someone fix it, but instead I said I had to go and just walked out. But I really did have to go because Chad VanBuskirk had just made the drive from Kenton and was waiting for me across the street at Panera. So of course Chad and I got a good laugh about this amusing situation and how stupid I acted. I really am embarrassed. Chad and I had a good visit. We were in Panera for quite awhile. I just got home and after calling several friends and laughing about this situation, I am okay. I brushed out all the styling products of my hair and de-poofed it and I think it is okay now. Just not how Abby would have done it..sigh....I now realize the cut is fine, I just did not like how she styled it. And when you pay so much money for something you don't really like, it is frustrating! (especially when you are a volunteer!) I actually debated for a week whether I should spend this much money on a haircut. I think God is trying to tell me something!! Well I think I am done with this place for awhile. Next time I need my haircut, I will find a cheap place in Louisville and stop being such a snob. I have already found a cheap place to get my eyebrows done there. (but I have to admit, they don't do as well) Well that's my story, I hope you enjoyed it!

P.S. I really hope I do not sound like a spoiled, stuck up rich girl.
P.P.S. I forgot to mention that while I was crying to the manager my friend Kristen walked in. Of course I would see someone I know! I left her a voicemail once I got to Panera explaining the situation so she doesn't think I am a psycho!
P.P.S. While I was typing this my friend Becky called me. She happens to work in the phone room of this place and she told me it was her fault my appointments got cancelled! She was training someone yesterday and used my name as an expample and accidentally cancelled my appointments. So that mystery is solved! She felt bad and is going to talk to her manager to see if I can get some sort of discount or something.

So anyone else agree I should at least get a $10 off coupon or something? Or do you think I am crazy?

8 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger abby said...

Wow - what a story! I'm sorry Abby sucks at hair cutting - or styling. I really have no idea how you feel. I've never spent more than $12 for a haircut - and I don't intend to. Karen Bontrager once said "Hair is the poop of your head". I guess scientifically that is sort of true. It makes it a lot easier to say "ehh. It will grow back" That's my theory. I'll cut your hair for free anytime.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Maria said...

Actually Abby is great at hair cutting and styling, she is the one I wanted! I am okay with my hair now though. I fixed it.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Abby said...

I understand why you wanted your money back. But I have to agree with Abby, I have never spent more than $12 on a hair cut. Wait, actually that's a lie, I think I paid $12.95 at Walmart. And I gave up getting my eyebrows waxed. Maybe once I get a job I will be able to afford that "luxury" again :)

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I would be really disappointed if I didn't like my hair after spending a lot of money on it. I could see myself crying too. To avoid this situation, I go to the cheapest place I can find. When I was living at home, I could get my hair cut for $7. Now to get it cut around here is $12, and I always feel like I am getting ripped off.

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean Maria, especially since we go to the same hairstylist. (I actually think I'm going to ask Abby to do my hair for the wedding cause she's the only person in my life who has made it look the way I want). Don't feel bad for spending money on yourself every now and then, one good haircut a year is not going to make you into a horrible snob.


p.s. Just out of curiosity, what was the name of the girl who actually did cut your hair??

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Suzanna said...

I totally understand! The other week I decided to give myself a little treat and go to a nice place to get my hair cut - same thing happened - I figured out that the cut was fine, but the style was way wrong. You definetely should get some sort of something for all of that!!

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

man, Maria. You really got to cut out this uppity snobbery. I would use more coarse language, but I might get in trouble. Seriously though, you gotta forget about the good life for a while. You can come back to it later

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Maria said...

Thanks Dylan for that lovely comment. However I consider myself far from an uppity snob.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home