Tuesday, October 11, 2005

My Second Visitors

Chad & Joel arrived Saturday morning around 11:30 and left Monday morning when I went to work. It was a fun weekend and thankfully I was feeling better. Although I was pretty worn out by the end. We didn't do too much, but simply being conscious for that long was a change for me. I think my housemates enjoyed having them, especially Keith. I was so glad to see him have some male bonding time! And Alisa decided that Chad should find a job in Louisville (since he is currently a pizza delivery man in Kenton) and rent our extra room. We even showed him the corny promotional video for Louisville we found on-line in an attempt to convince him.

Let's see, what did we do. Saturday we went out for lunch at the Vietnam Kitchen and had some delicious food. I cooked dinner on Saturday and had another success (I'm now two for two!) I made my great-grandma's recipe, American Chop Suey. It was yummy. Then my wonderful roommate Ben got us 8 tickets to see the play "Dracula" that night. It was awesome! (and scary!) Seriously, I was frightened. I had never been to a scary play before. It was worse than a movie because the actors are right in front of you! They ran up & down the aisles, and since we were in the back row, they were sometimes right behind us. This made me very nervous. But, it was an "excellent" play (as Chad would say). Sunday we went to Jeff St. again for church. Joel told me he liked it because it is nothing like a traditional Baptist church (which is why I like it too). They were actually kicked out of the official Baptist church because they have a female pastor. Then we all went out to eat at Santa Fe Grill, my new favorite restaurant. It is a bright pink building where I can get a delicious meal plus chips & salsa for $3.75. What more can you ask for? Later that afternoon Chad, Joel, Keith & I went to Iroquois park. We ended up hiking on a trail that said it was closed, but we never discovered why. I enjoyed being outside in this lovely fall weather! The rest of the night we watched movies & hung out.

Work was interesting yesterday (which it tends to be often). The first thing I learned was that someone had broken into the building Sunday night and stole two of our new computers (from the lab we use during the after-school program). We are now in the process of changing all our locks and improving our security system. The weird thing is, one of the stolen computers was returned this morning! They just left it outside the door and Edgardo found it when he opened the building. Maybe they felt guilty??? The other ordeal yesterday was an incident I had with an older Somali man. He is in charge of the Somali community in Louisville and has an office in our building. He has been approaching me often the past couple weeks (although he usually had no need to) and yesterday he asked me to come to his office. He had me sit down, gave me a drink (non-alcoholic), and then asked me a series of inappropriate questions. At first I thought he was aking me to have dinner with him & his family to learn about Somalian culture (yes he is married & at least 30 years older than me), but then I realized he was asking to go out to dinner with me alone, and also mentioned meeting in a hotel. He also wanted to know if I am currently in a relationship and asked for my cell phone number. I don't think I have ever felt so uncomfortable in my life. I excused myself and immediately told someone else what happened, who advised me to talk to Edgardo, which I did. He was very upset and wanted to kick this guy out. But of course he has a different story of what happened (Edgardo had us both write down what was said). There could have been "cultural misunderstandings" but it was pretty clear to me what this guy was indicating and it was completely inappropriate. For now he is on probation and is not allowed to talk to me at all, which I am happy with! This event led to an impromptu meeting about sexual harassment. Edgardo said he has never had to deal with something like this in 15 years and he never wants to again. So that was my fun-filled morning at work yesterday.

6 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Maria, I'm sorry for your creapy sexual harassment situation. If you weren't so hot and sexy that wouldn't happen!

 
At 5:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who would you rather be hit on by...the guy there or Rick from the law library?

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend visitors! And, that is odd what happened to you at work.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Maria said...

Vicki -
Rick from the law library! He was way less creepy. And he was just stupid. I never felt uncomfortable around him. Just annoyed.

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

I know how you feel...stuff like this happens to me alot. The other day a man came up to me on the street and asked if I was a prostitute.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Maria said...

oh my goodness..that's horrible!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home