Sunday, October 02, 2005

Weekend Update

A group of Bosnians showed up in our parking lot again around 9:00 on Saturday night. We looked out our second story window and noticed that at least one of the guys we played football with and promised Alisa a new mirror was out there (he has really big hair). We were debating what to do when our back doorbell rang (I did not even realize we had one). We ran down, assuming it was them, but it was actually two older couples who are on the board of our program. They brought us two new stools for the island in our kitchen which was a pleasant surprise. After they left, we went out to talk to the Bosnians. The hair guy was the only one we recognized and he didn't talk to us all. We explained to the others what had happened to Alisa's mirror and they assured us they would bring a new one for her the next day. We went back upstairs assuming it would never happen. Today I helped Keith bring in the groceries. My first surprise was that Muya Muya had gotten into our building (someone accidentally left the outside door unlocked) and was trying to break into the community center by punching in a bunch of numers on the alarm system. I got him to leave and tried to convince him that I don't live here (I really don't want the kids figuring this out) but I think my cover is blown. Why else would I be here on a Sunday carrying up groceries? After they were all up I went down to make sure the door was locked and got my second surprise. The group of guys that were here last night (around 10 of them) were back again and asked me to get my friend. I woke Alisa up from her nap and went back down with her. They had a new mirror along with a few screwdrivers. They took off her old mirror and put on a new one in less than ten minutes. I was amazed. They actually came through. They are nice guys, I just wish they would stop hanging out in large groups at all hours of the night on our property doing who knows what. We decided to not have a conversation with them about this just yet though. I'll leave it up to Edgardo.

Yesterday was my "cooking debut." It was the first meal I made by myself here (for everyone to eat). From now on we are each signing up for a day of the week to cook dinner. I made my mom's chili and it turned out great! Everyone liked it. Now I have to figure out what to cook this week. I will probably cook mostly on the weekends since I get home from work the latest during the week.

This weekend was the St. James Court Art show here in Louisville. They say it is the biggest and the best art festival in the country. They shut down most of Old Louisville (the historic section of downtown with lots of old, Victorian looking houses). There were over 700 artists there, displaying their works in booths and thousands of people come to see it. Peoople who did not pay for a booth were also selling stuff in their front yards. We took a bus down there Saturday afternoon and walked around for a few hours. There were so many people! It was fun to look around at everything, although I couldn't afford any of it. There was so much to take in. It was kind of like walking around the Louvre in Paris. It wears you out fast and there is no way to see everything. One of my coworkers lives down there and invited us to stop by her apartment for free food & drink, along with a regular toilet to use, which was a nice break from the crowd. The most exciting part of the day though was we all bought discounted tickets to see Stomp in a couple of weeks. They were selling them at a booth for only $16 which is a good deal I think. We are in the rear balcony of course, but I've always wanted to see that show and I didn't think we could get tickets that cheap. So I am excited for that.

I haven't been feeling too well the past couple of days, so I haven't done much at all since the art show, except relax and go to church (at Jeff St. again). I really hope I feel better and not worse tomorrow or work is going to be tough. I think it is Desperate Housewives and then bed for me tonight.

One more thing..what happened to the nice fall weather we were having??? We had a couple beautiful fall days last week and I was so excited, but today it was 89 degrees and humid. I thougth summer was supposed to be over by now.

5 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, Blogger Suzanna said...

Well, my weather is about the opposite - winter is starting here, which means, rain, clouds, and cold weather - it's not too bad though. Glad to hear about the mirror and hope that gets better!

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Maria,
I am so proud of you for cooking! Let me know if you need any recipes :)

 
At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you published the last two posts -- they reminded me that I need to get an updated car insurance card to take with me when we visit...

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger abby said...

I hope you feel better soon and congrats on the cooking success!

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Fall is to return soon! And, YEAH for Chili!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home