Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Would you notice if I got my eyebrows waxed?

As some of you may know, I kind of have an addiction to getting my eyebrows waxed (I get it done around once a month). Anyways, I don't expect anyone to really notice, and usually no one does. So I found it odd when a few kids commented on it yesterday at work (I got it done earlier that afternoon). The first one being Muya Muya. I don't think I have talked about him yet..and yes he has the same first and last name. He is a Somali Bantu and 14 years old. I think he is relatively new to this country. He is an interesting kid. I do not know if this is because of his culture or what, but he is very touchy with all the female staff members and volunteers. He is always trying to hold my hand or touch me in some way. He also likes to play with my hair and always tells me how beautiful it is. Yesterday I was helping him with his math homework and he started touching my eyebrows and asked me what I had done to them. He noticed they were shorter. He said he thought they looked better before. About a half an hour later, Tina told me my eyebrows looked really nice. Tina is 18 and has some sort of mental disability. She often forgets how old she is, can barely read, and tells me every day she needs help with her geography, although she means geometry. But she noticed my eyebrows. Before the evening was over, I had gotten a few more comments on my eyebrows. So it seems that the kids pay close attention to my appearance. I also found it interesting that when I was waiting for my appointment, innocently reading a magazine, this guy came up to me and in an angry voice said "Are you an Ohio State fan?" because I was wearing a Buckeyes t-shirt. Then he told me I needed to take off the shirt and get out of there. He said he's a Michigan fan. And although I am sure he has half joking, he didn't sound too friendly. Why do people take college football so seriously?? I guess I have to be careful when I wear my Ohio State shirt when not in Ohio.

Work is still going well. I am so glad I enjoy my job. It make this experience much more worthwhile. I'm glad that I am directly helping people that need it. Most of these kids come from poor households and their parents don't speak any English. For free, we give them a safe place to come and tutor them, which they really need. We recently started this reading program. If they read 20 books (of any level) they get 10 "good ones" which they can use to buy stuff at our "good ones" store. It's amazing how many kids are into it! All the sudden they all want to read. Once they read or do homework for 20 minutes, they are allowed to leave the library and go to the gym or gameroom, but a lot of them sit in there reading the whole time. I was shocked because I didn't think it would work. The after school program is still a little chaotic at times, but we are adding more activities which is good. The more things we have to keep the kids occupied, the better.

Instead of working this morning, Randy (the computer guy) and I were talking about traveling and started planning trips around the world for about a half an hour. He told me about this awesome website, www.airtreks.com You can plan a trip, saying all the cities you want to go to, and they will estimate the price of the airfare for you. Once I have some money, I am so doing this. Some of the trips I "planned" included stops in Seattle and Bangladesh. As well as cities in Africa, South America, Central America, and Europe (but not in that order). It's fun to dream. And for some reason Ludacris' "Pimpin all over the world" was going through my head the whole time I was doing this. You guys should check out this website. It's great! I guess if you are serious, they will plan everything for you. You can stay how long you want in each place. It's all up to you.

5 Comments:

At 6:42 PM, Blogger David Edward said...

hello - just bookmaked your site
peace to you

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Finally...a link to find out about penis pills...thanks Maria!

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Suzanna said...

HAHA! Seattle had better be in your list of stops :)! Sounds like a great site. Glad things are getting more under control.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Maria - I have found that kids are VERY perceptive to change. Apparently, I wore my hair different for the first time 2 weeks ago to school. I wore it part way up instead of it all being down. And, FIVE girls during the day commented that they liked my hair. Also, I wore a sweater today that they had never seen (since today was a cooler day), and several students noticed and asked if it was new.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Maria said...

I am sorry to inform you all that I have removed the penis pills link from my blog. And I have no idea who this David guy is. And thanks for your comment Laura. Kids do notice the smallest changes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home