Thursday, October 06, 2005

Sick of Being Sick!!!

After having a very bad sore throat for seven days, I finally sucked it up and went to the doctor today (I was hoping it would just go away and I wouldn't have to spend money on prescriptions & co-pays, plus figuring out where to go here). But I guess it's a good thing I did because I discovered I have strep throat. The doctor didn't even do a test, she just looked at my throat and said I needed to get treated. She said she could see a couple of "puss pockets." I think that's one of the grossest things I have heard in awhile, so I thought I would share it on here. She kept saying "puss pocket" and I almost laughed. So I now have antiboitics to take, and she also gave me over 20 free samples of some allergy medicine (I've been having trouble with that too). I went to work every other day this week. The mornings where I basically have a desk job went ok, but the after school program is what did me in. So went to work Monday & wore myself out, slept all day Tuesday, then went back Wednesday to continue the cycle. All I did today was sleep and go to the doctor's office & pharmacy. It is amazing how much a person can sleep when they are sick! I have gone to bed at 9:30 every night this week. But I have trouble sleeping because I am so congested that I can't really breathe when I lay down, so it creates a problem. It just dawned on me that since I work with so many kids (who probably don't get treated for illnesses properly), I may be getting sick a lot this year. Hooray. This is the first day my throat has felt a little better opposed to worse, so I guess that's a plus. And I no longer have a fever.

Mondays always seem to be our crazy days at work for some reason. I have a couple stories. First a funny one...I was helping two middle school boys with their homework, and a few others joined the table. Then one of them asked me if I was married. I said no, and they all went "yesss!!!" So I guess they think they have a chance with me now. For the last half an hour of work I had playground duty, which basically means I break up fights and encourage kids to go home. A lot of the younger African kids love to "play fight." They assure me they are just having fun, although it looks to me like they are all going to get seriously injured. Well, a couple of the older kids joined in and I tried to stop it, but instead kids tried to tackle me & I was not able to prevent two of the youngest (& cutest) girls getting hurt. One was tackled by like five people & the other was hit HARD on the head a few times by an older girl with major attitude problems (she was suspended for the rest of the week). So I had two little girls screaming at the top of their lungs and I strained my voice as much as I could to talk over them. I don't think it helped my throat. By the end of that ordeal I thought I was going to pass out. I really shouldn't have been at work. I hope I didn't infect any of the kids (or my housemates!!)

Last night after work I went to a U of L (University of Louisville) soccer game. I rode over with my coworker Dave and met all my roommates. It was fun although I felt horrible. But I hadn't really left the house since Saturday so I wanted to do something! (plus it was free) My coworker Steven is the goalie for U of L. It was a good game, but they lost. They were a little more talented than the Bluffton soccer team. :)

My housemates are great and here is why. When I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom (which happens a lot since I am drinking an incredible amount of water), I noticed a piece of paper slipped under my door. It was a homemade "Buffy" get well card, complete with pictures & personalized messages from Buffy and Giles. I thought it was hilarious. For example, Buffy said "I know your throat hurts, but if it gets too bad just remember the time I had to kill my boyfriend so he wouldn't open the hell mouth."

Chad & Joel are arriving Saturday morning to visit for the weekend. I promise to be better by then!! At least I now have proper medicine.

6 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Blogger abby said...

Awww. Why didn't we think of Buffy get well cards? They are sooo sweet! (Great blog, by the way!) I hope you feel better and I'm sorry it didn't work out for you and Antonio.

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger abby said...

P.S. I think you could use a cervical spine adjustment - it really does wonders to help a body heal from a cold fast! (Sorry - I can't help it - I'm sucked in!!)

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Suzanna said...

Hope you're feeling better - I've pretty much given up on getting better (I still have a left over cold from 2 weeks ago.) I'm now under the assumptiong that being a first year teacher means you are sick for the whole year - so good luck with that :)!

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Who's Antonio?

 
At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't you like to know...

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Maria said...

Antonio is Abby's friend who was in Kentucky this week for a business trip. If I hadn't been sick, we might have hung out. And appearantly he reads my blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home