Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Well that didn't work

I had this bright idea earlier today while I was on my break from work that if I changed my template, my profile and links would go back where they are supposed to be. So I retyped in all the links and everything, and they are still at the bottom! I give up. However, when I looked at my blog on my house computer, everything is where it is supposed to be. My new theory is it depends on your internet browser. Our house computer has Mozilla Firefox or whatever and it looks normal. I have internet explorer and it doesn't. It's really not a big deal at all, I just don't understand what happened! Any computer geniuses out there?

The past two days of work have flown by. I don't think I will ever run out of things to do, since there at least six or seven people constantly giving me things to do. It feels a little hectic at times, but I will manage. It will get better I'm sure once I am used to the job. And the after school program is always chaotic, but that's what happens when you have sixty plus kids and not enough staff to go around. I am supposed to get a two hour break between jobs, but it does not often happen. However, I am not complaining. I enjoy my job. I would take this over sitting in a cubicle bored out of my mind with nothing to do any day. My contract is for 32 hours a week since we have seminar Friday mornings. However I think I was there at least 40 hours last week, so I need to work on cutting down my hours and saying no. It's hard to seperate work from home when I live where I am working!! For example, my roommates asked if they could use the gym in the community center to play basketball tonight. I went down with them at 8 to open it up since no one was using it. While I was there I was approached by the assistant director and one of the janitors several times and was given more things I need to do. I ended up working for a half an hour when all I wanted to do was unlock a door! The janitor in the evenings, Israel, speaks Spanish and a little English. So we have been having fun trying to communicate. I write him notes in the morning telling him what needs done, and then he approaches me in the evening to clarify some things. He realized today that I can write perfect notes in Spanish, but my speaking ability is not nearly as good. He's a cool guy though, we are trying to help eachother out. I think my Spanish will improve this year.

I feel like I could tell a million stories about the kids I work with. We have a lot of African children, and many of them have spent time in refugee camps. Life there was very different than here, and they have a hard time adjusting. A lot of them are very violent (they like to run around, hit eachother, poke people with sharp things, whack people with big pieces of wood, etc.) Most kids are rowdy, but these kids can get way out of hand, which adds to the chaos. I have also noticed that several of them have many scars, especially on their arms. It is so hard to help multiple people with their homework while trying to control the rowdy ones. I wish I could give everyone the attention they need, but is impossible. There are three very adorable Vietnamese children who come in every day. Two girls and a boy. I am positive the boy has a form of autism, probably Asperger's Syndrome. His actions remind me a lot of Will, although he can speak (but not very well). I hope I can eventually help that family, because I don't think they are doing anything to help him right now. Working with Will these past two years has definitely taught me the patience to deal with these children. If I haven't had that experience, I think I would be a little more stressed out right now.

Oh..and as of today, I am officially in the system of the Starbucks here and I should be scheduled next week, but we'll see. It's been awhile since I've had an iced caramel macchiato or a white raspberry mocha...can't wait to get them free again!

6 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Maria - You sound like a teacher! However, the teaching part of your job sounds more difficult to manage than mine. I am so proud of your for your patience and dedication!

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually Maria, I think it would be very difficult for you to start watching Lost without seeing the first season. It's just one of those sort of shows..although if you can rent it I think it's well worth the money cause it rocks (and did I mention VERY hot guys)

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Vicki,
Lost is my favorite show ever!!!!! I was so excited to watch the season premiere especially after the finale last year!! I'm glad someone else shares my appreciation for Lost. Anyways, Maria, I know what you mean about rowdy children. I went to youth with Derek for the first time this week. The Jr. High kids wore me out and I wansn't even doing anything. Poor Derek was the one trying to keep their attention to teach them something!

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey maria!!!! i absolutely LOVED that message you guys left me the other week. sorry i never called back... call again!

anyway....
-- Erin [miller]

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Maria said...

Laura - thanks for the compliment!

Vicki & Abby - ugh! I keep hearing how wonderful this show is. And I was gone tonight so I couldn't see the season premiere anyways.

Erin - Glad you enjoyed the message! We'll have to call you again.

 
At 3:15 AM, Blogger Jo said...

I wish that i had had the opportunity to do something like you and Reba are doing it is so amazing! Sounds like you really helping these children,
Over here we are only in first season of Lost! i missed the first couple episodes and now can't get into it! So i'm with you maria on everyone going on about it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home