Monday, October 17, 2005

I'm First!



Well it looks like I am the first one to post pictures and talk about our weekend. I win!! As you can see, the four of us spent the weekend together in Pekin, IL at Abby & Derek's house. It was fun and so nice to see everyone again. I ended up having company on my five hour drive to Illinois. My friend from work Keyonn rode with me. He heard me say I was driving to IL after work and asked if he could ride along. He went to college in Iowa and still knows several people there (including his twin baby girls), and where I was going was right on the way. So a friend picked him up where I left off. He was very excited for this unexpected chance to see his kids, so I'm glad I made his weekend. Unfortunately, his friends had car trouble so he couldn't make it back to IL. He is currently on a bus to Louisville.

Abby Mo said she will tell people to look at my blog for a weekend description, so here it is. I arrived late Friday evening so we didn't do much after I got there. Saturday we went to a mall in Peoria but I did not buy anything! Then we had lunch at a nice cafe. Later that afternoon we saw the movie "Elizabethtown." I really liked it, although it was a little odd. And it made me cry. What I liked best is parts of it were filmed in Louisville. I thought that was cool since I live here now and recognized everything. Saturday night we made pizza, watched "Reign of Chaos" (which made me miss Bluffton!), got some frozen custard, and played poker. Laura had never played before and beat us all! Sunday we went to the contemporary (and very early!) service at Abby & Derek's church. I liked it. Everyone left soon after that, but I stayed around waiting for Keyonn and watching TLC (which I have missed). Once I realized he wasn't going to make it, I headed back to Kentucky by myself, and made it back just in time to watch Desperate Housewives. It was a good weekend, despite my allergy troubles due to Teddy (their new puppy). It was the first time I have left Louisville since I moved. It was also my first time watching cable, eating fast food, seeing a movie, and going to a mall since I moved here over a month and a half ago. However, I realize this is nothing compared to what Rebekah is sacraficing!!! :)

Since the kids didn't have school today there was no after-school program, but we had a meeting to discuss our new mentorship program. I am going to be assigned to eight kids. Basically, it is to learn more about them and make sure we are meeting their needs. Also, for them to have a staff member who pays extra attention to them. I have to complete interviews, follw-up with them, write reports, do home visits, and talk with their teachers at school. I have to keep case files, so basically it is like social work. I am going to be doing this on top of everything else, so we will see how it goes. I am excited about it though. So far I know I have three siblings from Sudan and two sisters from Somalia, and they are all pretty good kids and some of my favorites. The home visits are the only thing I am nervous about. I'm not really sure how they will go.

Well I have to get to my exciting night of dishes, cleaning, and laundry, so goodbye.

9 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Awwww, we look so cute!

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger abby said...

I can't see the pictures!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Maria said...

hmmm..that's odd..I can see them!

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Abby, why are you complaining, it's not like you don't have the exact same pictures on your camera!! :)

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger Abby said...

Maria,
Can you see my blog? When I go to it, all it shows me is the background! What is going on?

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Never mind, problem solved!

 
At 3:46 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

I miss you guys!

 
At 3:46 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Hmm..."Elizabethtown" made me cry too, but I thought I was the only one! I am glad to know that Maria cried too :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home