Thursday, October 13, 2005

Good Beer & Contemporary Shakespeare

I have had a lot of fun the past two nights, so I thought I would post just to share that I am really enjoying Louisville. Last night we went out to the Bluegrass Brewing Company, or the BBC. It was a nice, chill place. We sat outside (I am loving this weather!) and listened to lots of old guys jam on their bluegrass instruments. I realized that I do like this type of music. I hate honky-tonky country, but bluegrass I do not mind. We shared a few pitchers of beer. But I am talking quality, freshly brewed beer that tastes good, not that crap we used to get at the Bluffton pub. Of course, it is a bit pricier. My roommates insist that whenever we go somewhere, something happens to me. Their point was proven last night. Some random old man (50s maybe) comes up to me, puts his hand on my shoulder, and says "Do you believe in deja vu?" He then went on to explain how I look exactly like a girl he knew in his college days. I love randomness.

Tonight Ben got us free tickets (seeing a theme here?) to the play "Twelth Night." It was AMAZING. I have never seen Shakespeare performed in this way, complete with a rock band and blasting the song "Everybody Dance Now." It was highly entertaining. It was pretty true to the original play, just performed in a creative way. I have now seen four quality productions in a nice theatre for absolutely free. It dawned on me tonight how amazing this is! I would have spent well over $100 by now.

So, if you can't tell, I love Louisville! I still can't get over the fact that I am living in Kentucky and loving it! We blasted the song "Old Kentucky Home" by Nappy Roots on the way home. Everyone needs to hear this song. I decided it's my theme song for the year. They play it on the radio all the time. If I find a way to put it on here, I will.

Well..I should get to bed. Tomorrow morning I have seminar and then work from 12-4. The kids don't have school Friday or Monday, so no after-school program. It will be a nice chance to get some things done without them. Right after work I am heading to Pekin, IL (about a five and a half hour drive) to visit Abby & Derek. Abby Mo, Laura, & Bob will be there too...can't wait to see everyone!!

4 Comments:

At 4:43 AM, Blogger Abby said...

I am so glad you're having a good time. I can't say I've been to free theatre productions or anything like that, but I also really like living in a bigger city.

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Strange things do happen to you!

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Suzanna said...

A rock band and Shakespeare - sounds interesting!! Glad you're having fun!!

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Chadd said...

Ah, beer and Shakespeare... "These are a few of my favorite things..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home