Sunday, June 03, 2007

My Sudanese Dancing Debut











This afternoon was fun. The Sudanese community reserved the Center for a cultural celebration they always have at this time of year. I was having a nice conversation with the man who reserved the building the other day and like always, they say I am welcome and I say "maybe I'll stop by if I have the time". Usually I don't (not because I don't want to, but normally I have other things to do on the weekend/want to be away from the building I work in), but this time I was obligated. Somehow our conversation turned to "do you like to dance?" and "do you like these dresses?" (he was pointing to a picture). Me saying yes to both of these things turned into "Ok, you come Sunday at 3:30 and we will have a dress for you and you will dance on stage with us" I was reminded yesterday at the world festival so I knew it was for real. So I came. They gave me a dress to wear and after eating and then moving to the gym, I was rushed backstage where I was quickly taught what I was expected to do and then the curtains opened and I danced in front of 150+ people. I had a lot of fun, and was only slightly embarassed. And so you aren't too impressed - the steps were not difficult and anyone could catch on. It was an enjoyable afternoon. It was a situation I could not have imagined myself in two years ago, but seemed quite normal today. I came by myself and probably knew about 10 people there (and most of them kids), but I was immediately welcomed and felt quite comfortable. And everyone seemed to like my dancing!

3 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger Keith said...

I, too, can be clever. Here is your post, klugscheiße.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Maria, I never cease to be amazed at your many talents :)

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Laura said...

This sounds exciting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home