Thursday, March 08, 2007

Happy International Women's Day!




Did you know it is International Women's Day? This is an important holiday in some countries throughout the world, and this year Louisville's celebration was held at Americana. We closed our normal youth programs because of this event today, which was a nice "break" from the normal routine. However Thursday is the day I usually have my middle school girls group, so I invited them to come celebrate International Women's Day instead and we just hung out in place of a formal meeting. However, they thought this celebration was "boring" and wanted to have a regular group session instead! I actually took pictures today, which is something it seems like I rarely do anymore (can you believe it?) I love how these boys were in the tree by the women's day sign the whole time during the rally. I also included a picture of me and my co-facilitator with some of our middle school girls. Finally, we had the kids make some art for the event, and I included my favorite piece, done by a 15 year old boy. My girls group is going really well this semester. It took a lot of work trying to get it started last semester, but it seems to have paid off. Last week we had a session on anger management, and I think it was the best one yet. They all participated and were really into the discussions. We ended with a discussion using the "iceberg" theory, all the problems that are underneath that people cannot see and may cause our anger. I am pretty sure every girl in that room cried. It was really powerful and I am so happy that we accomplished our goal of creating a safe place where these girls feel comfortable sharing what they have gone through. It was neat to see how they responded to each other and showed respect. The group is definitely my favorite part of the practicum experience at Americana.
So I read through my last post and really not much has changed. I am still very busy and it is very easy to feel burnt out and exhausted at the end of the day. But I am surviving and trying to do fun things once and awhile. It happens, but not enough! I have been meaning to update this thing for awhile, but haven't found the time or the energy. I guess I have to write so much for school that this feels like an added assignment!
Technically I am on spring "break" next week. This means no class (which I only have on Monday and Tuesday), but I am still working and getting practicum hours in, but I might not do as many as normal so it is somewhat of a break. However, I have a test, project and paper due right after spring break (including a book I need to read for one of those which I haven't started), plus two big group presentations that include ten page group papers (which I despise) a week after break. So, the time I would be spending in class will just be spent studying! How fun. I am realizing that the semester is past halfway over and the end is near, I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. When my last project is turned in on April 17 I will be extremely happy. Just working 40 hours a week sounds so glorious right now. I cannot wait. It seems like I have more papers and projects this semester, or maybe just more spread out so it feels like I am constantly working on them.
I was very sad to hear of the Bluffton baseball team bus accident this past Friday. It was a tragedy that hit too close to home, and I am sure the Bluffton girls are right with me. How weird is it to see the Bluffton campus on the CBS evening news? I am contiuning to pray for the families of those who were killed.
And to end on a brighter note, I have a couple fun weekends ahead of me, so that is exciting. And by fun I mean not spent doing homework the whole time! Seriously, my weekends usually consist of homework, cleaning, church and one fun thing that I allow myself Friday or Saturday night. Usually Saturday because I am so burnt out by Friday night that I tend to space out in front of the TV, seriously. One of my goals this summer is to remember what it is like to have a social life. Anyways, some friends that have moved away from Louisville are returning this weekend for a visit, so it should be good times (Brian, Emily and Craig for those who would know). And nice timing since I am on "break". Then the next weekend I am going home for a bridal shower, and it is always nice to get away for a little bit. However I really wish the drive was shorter!! I am getting very sick of it.
And by the way, Denise turned 13 yesterday, can you believe it?

5 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger Maria said...

what is up with this new blogger? I tried to separate the paragraphs like I usually do, and it would not let me!!

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Wow Maria! It sounds like your girls' group is really making a positive impact. That is awesome! I'm glad you have some fun weekends ahead!

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Abby said...

I hate blogger. Is anyone else having problems? I've tried to comment on your blog countless times, now I forget what I wanted to say. Something about what a noble cause you have with the girls. Every teenage girl needs something like that. Also, Denise, 13? Scary!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Oh my gosh, it posted!

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Chadd said...

This weather is amazing. It sucks that we'll be stuck in class tomorrow evening...

I downloaded the iTunes software today. My poor bank account; $0.99 songs add up quickly.

Hope the paper writing continues to go well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home