Sunday, June 24, 2007

Enjoying Summer

I had a wonderful week long vacation in Hilton Head Island with my family. After returning to Louisville and one week of work, I am ready for another vacation! It was so relaxing. And I got a pretty nice tan (which can't be seen in this picture because it was taken at the beginning of the week). As you can see, we stayed right by the beach. So my days were spent there, along with the pool, mini-golf, bike riding, shopping, eating out, reading, and simply doing nothing. How wonderful. The weather was pretty nice, just rained one day.
Now I am back into the swing of things in Louisville. I am still immensely enjoying summer and having a break from school. Work was a little stressful for me last week though. I guess that is how it normally is after having a week off. We are in the midst of the summer program, so kids are in the building all day long. I spend the mornings at the desk in the front office, which can be hectic at times, and the afternoons doing various things. I may help out with the summer program a little bit, but didn't have the chance to last week. My duties are more administrative now, instead of hands on with the kids. So now I am stressed in a different kind of way! I still get to see my kids daily though, so it's all good. And now I'm not the one that has to discipline them, I just hang out with them in the office when they are in trouble. I like that change. Anyways, I have plenty to do at work and there is never a dull moment, but we won't talk about that now because it is Sunday and I am relaxing. I have realized how important it is to try and forget about work once I leave for the day. Especially with the jobs I will be having in the non-profit/social work field. They are draining by nature, so you have to take care of yourself.
I love the weekends. During school they never felt like a break. But now they truly are. This weekend I had absolutely nothing planned and just played it by ear. I wish more weekends were like that. I was sick during the first half (big shocker), but felt better enough by yesterday to enjoy a Louisville Bats game (which was interrupted by some much needed rain) and then watching a movie with friends.
I have been working on taking care of myself this summer. I am trying to eat better, working out regularly (a Y membership is a big help with this), faithfully getting my expensive allergy shots, getting enough sleep and have started going back to the chiropractor. And my stressload is definitely lighter. But I still got a bad cold right before vacation and then some weird stomach flu type thing at the end of this week. Can someone please explain this to me? What else can I be doing to avoid getting sick all the time???
I'll end with that. I am going to the Y in a little bit for some cardio and weight lifting. I have also been enjoying group classes, but they don't have any today.

3 Comments:

At 6:42 PM, Blogger Abby said...

As an RD, I'm so happy to hear you're eating healthier! Can't wait to see you at the lake in August!

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Your vacation looked lovely! It sounds like you're doing everything you can to keep yourself healthy. My mom always encourages lots of fruits and veggies if I am sick often :)

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Keith said...

Let's write something new, shalln't we?

Come now, you've been enjoying summer for a solid two weeks now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home