Sunday, August 07, 2005

The 60th Anniversary Celebration

Well Saturday was the big day and everything went perfect. My grandparents had no idea that everyone was going to be there. They said we are all good liars. The party was at the Findlay Inn. When my grandparents arrived my five cousins and their families were hidden in a back room. We all sat down and my uncle welcomed everyone. He told my grandparents he had cards from all their grandchildren who couldn't be there and started reading them out loud. They all said something like "Happy Anniversary, we love you and hope to see you soon." Then the last one said soemthing like "oh heck, why don't we just come to the party?" After this was read, my grandpa immediately started to get out of his chair expecting something and his eyes were all teared up (I was sitting right across from them). Then they all came out and my grandparents rushed toward them crying. It was seriously the cutest thing I have ever seen. It made me cry too. They were so surprised and so happy. They never expected everyone to be there. They had their two kids, seven grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren all in one room which never happens since we are so spread out. (Most of them live in Idaho, however one of my cousins and her family just moved to Pennsylvania which is much closer to us). This weekend I got a small taste of what it is like to have a big family and it was so much fun. There were six kids all under the age of six and they were all so cute. Denise got along with them really well. Can anyone tell me what you call your cousin's kids? I've heard second cousin, but I always thought a second cousin was your parent's cousin's kids. So if anyone knows, please fill me in! Anyways it was a great weekend. I'm so used to it being just my mom, dad, me and Denise at my grandparents house in Findlay. The house was much more crowded this weekend. We had dinner Saturday night at a nice park. However the mosquitos were out and I got bit up pretty bad. So last Sunday night I was itching like crazy with hives, and tonight it's mosquito bites. So I took some more Benadryl;) Oh yeah, I spent last night in Bluffton with my other grandma. It is always so weird to be back there. We went to First Mennonite this morning. I was expecting to see a lot of Bluffton faculty but they must have been on vacation. The only person I said hi to was Lee Snider. No Sue, Gerald, or Perry. How sad. Oh well.

I get my wisdom teeth taken out tomorrow morning at 11 a.m. Wish me luck! I am really not looking forward to it. And I can't eat or drink anything after midnight tonight (which is in like ten minutes). Not eating won't be too bad, although I know I'll be hungry in the morning like always. But it's not going to be fun having this cough and not being able to drink anything! I think I will down a bottle of water real quick.

4 Comments:

At 3:10 AM, Blogger abby said...

Second cousins are your Parents' cousin' kids. I think your cousins' kids are called your cousins once removed. (But that sounds dumb, so I'd just say my cousin's kids)

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Big families can be fun, but I like small families too. I think there are benefits to both.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Good luck with the wisdom teeth. I had that done but it wasn't too bad. But it wasn't exactly fun either :)

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree that your cousin's kids (as in mine, if I ever have any) would be your first cousins once removed. I always thought that was a weird term, so it makes sense that no one uses it. your kids and my kids will be second cousins.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home